Mirtazapine reduction.....help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I have been on 45mg for 9 months and on 15 then 30 for 9 months previous to that. I'm also on venlaflaxine and diazepam.

I dropped to 37.5mg 2 days ago. Psychiatrist wanted me to drop straight to 30mg. Today I feel more exhausted than I ever have with slight nausea. Is the exhaustion a withdrawal symptom. I was feeling exhausted on 45mg but not this bad. I can barely stay awake.

If it is how long will it last as I have a baby to look after.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sorry for your suffering Sarah. You were so right not to drop to 30 mg !!

To ease any WD or discontinuation symptoms it is best to do a slow taper, no more than 10% every 3-4 weeks, preferably 4 weeks OR listen to your body and if you are still having symptoms at 4 weeks, wait a while longer.  

The fatigue you have sure is a symptom of tapering; you have done a 17% drop.  In one way its good you now know that your own body can't really handle a big drop though hey !

Full informed choice ... click on my name/see the suggestions under my status & follow the links / copy & paste them.

Wishing you & your baby well smile  

• Posted

If I go at 10 % every 4 weeks is will take 2 to 3 yrs. I wouldn t mind that but I feel so I'll on this drug. The withdrawal symptoms I have now are only worse than how I feel all the time.

If I were to stick at 37.5 how long would it take to feel back to just feeling crap instead of very crap ?

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I was on 45mg til june 2016 and when my grandson was born decided to come off mirtazapine

I didn't know about the forums then so did it my way (GP not helpful)

I went from 45 to 30mg and started to get anxiety I was on 30 for 2 months then halved and halved again. I now know this was not my best idea. I stopped altogether 6 weeks ago and my anxiety went through the roof and lost my appetite (lost a stone in 2 months) and no sleep.

I feel your pain

As Calmer says do a slow taper and let your body tell you what to do. I ignored mine and was determined not to start mirtazapine again. These last 2 days have been great, hopefully I have turned the corner.

I wish you all the luck in the world and you will get there , just b patient and enjoy your baby who is your inspiration to beat this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.