Mirtazapine side effects.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi has anyone found relief from mirt side effects by increasing the dose. I would be very interested to get some opinions of this as my G P just tells me to increase dosage when i say how awful and ill i feel. I just cant believe it.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I found great relief with the increase Carol. Was a little dopey at first. With each increase I had about a week of side effects but nothing major.

Increased from 15mg-30mg then from 30mg-45mg.

In the last week or so,I've defiantly felt improvements. My anxiety is almost gone and I'm finding it much easier to cope and sort out the crappy thoughts.

• Posted

Hi gillian , thanks for replying. I have taken 15mgs for 8wks now and have had pins and needles and numbness in my face. Really  bad fatigue and internal body vibrating. Nausea started 4 wks ago. I feel so poorly and dont know whether i am intolerant to it or not taking enough of a therapeutic dose if that makes sense. My gp wont give me anything else as iv tried em all over the years with not much success.
    • Posted

Hi Carole,

maybe you have a "resistant" strain of illness that drugs just wont help. It happens to some people. I've had the before with a major despressive episode. I was put on 150mg of Sertraline & the only thing I found to help me get through it was smoking weed. It helped relax me enough to get over agrophobia on my own with 2 therapy sessions. (I quit after 2 session as the "therapist" told me to eat organic food & didn't remember anything I'd said from the previous time) GP wouldn't give out sleeping pills at the time. I wouldn't advocate illegal drugs to anyone but my point is that some people are just not reached by some of these prescription drugs. 

I hope you find somethign that works for you soon!

• Posted

15mg just made me feel drowsy Carole but I welcomed the sleep which I needed very much.

I feel so much better on the higher doses. I had side effects with each increase but they only stayed for a few days,a week at most.

I have a friend who also got the pins and needle sensation in her face but they subsided eventually.

I think a increase in dose may be what's needed if you are not feeling much relief from your current dose. Why not give it a try for a week or so? You can always go back down if it's not suiting you.

I really don't think your doctor is being very helpful. He should be trying everything in his power to get you feeling better.

xxx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reassuring words gillian. I have been poorly for so long i have just got to manage the illness as best as i can. I do feel i should increase my dose to 30mg. So will give it a go. Most of the symptoms i have are similar to the side effects so its difficult to know whats making me so poorly. I already have lots of neuro symptoms.But it would help to at least get some relief for the horrible depression. Thanks again . Carole.
    • Posted

I totally understand Hun. It can be soul destroying when you feel you are doing all you can and yet not feeling any better. I have many days like that too. It's scary and exhausting.

Im so glad you have decided to give the 30mg a go. All you can do is try and you owe it to yourself to give yourself the best chance possible to get over this. It's the right thing to do,especially if you felt stuck on 15mg,like it had taken you as far as it could. 

Please don't worry about side effects. I didn't find them too bothersome with Mirtazapine,well no worse than I was feeling anyway. I just kept telling myself that it would be worth it.

I am here chick if you need to chat at any point. If anything is worrying you don't hesitate to message me xxx

• Posted

Hi, I'm on 45mg of mirt and yes increasing the doasage helped relieve the side effects eventually. When It was first increased, the side effects were very strong but they calmed down after about a month.. or maybe two? It was better than the side effects controlling me though.

The mirt didn't really work for me as planned so I'm comming off it.

Good Luck smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.