Mirtazapine / Still difficulties to exercise!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was using mirtazapine for insomnia for more than a year.

During this time I felt that I had weak legs and trouble to do any kind of exercise(e.g. shortness of breath and palpitations).

Now I have been off for about 14-15 weeks. 

I have had a huge list of a different kind of withdrawal symptoms and still have, but the overall situation is much better today than 8 weeks ago.

Something which worries about me is that I still have very difficult to do any kind of exercises. Okay, now the situation is better because in first three weeks I barely could walk. Legs were so shaky.

About month ago I started to do some abs, pull ups, push ups and squats (5/each/ only 1 set). Now I'm doing 20/each/ 1 set.

Do any of you have similar kind of experiences? Every time when I'm doing this, I feel shortness of breath, getting palpitations and afterward I need to lay down for an hour or even more to recover from this!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I don't have any advice cos I'm only 3 days into coming off from 15mg but well done for getting off them. Could it just be that you need to get used to exercising again?

• Posted

Keep me posted. Would love to hear how you progress, I'm feeling a bit off today but powering through.

• Posted

HI Emma! How are you? Hopefully, you are doing fine!

Now it is approx 2 months since the last update.

I think I don't have anymore WD symptoms except sleeping is still an issue. I have very good nights sleeps and then these bad ones. Anyway, getting better all the time.

The same thing is for exercise. I have been able to increase reps and amount of sets, which is a good thing. In any way, this has been and will be the hardest task! There have been times when I have not been doing anything and then started to exercise and by far I can say this has been the most difficult time. No pain no gain, they say!twisted

br

Timo

• Posted

I have been taking 15 mg mirtazapine for 3 years to help with sleep. I notice my legs seem weaker than they were and I have a harder time going uphill. I have never had a problem with shortness of breath though. I want to start exercising on a regular basis so I may find it harder to keep a good pace. What dosage were you on?
  • Posted

Thanks for the info. Hope you find

exercising less tiring as your system withdraws from the mirtazapine. I have heard the withdrawal can be hard so it may improve as you continue to do regular exercises. Good luck.

• Posted

I had a similar experience.  Mirtazapine (7.5 mg; on drug for 1 month) caused me to feel weakness in my left leg and left hand.  When I would go down a flight of stairs, I would feel awkward, like my left leg/foot were uncoordinated.  When I typed on a computer, I distinctly noticed that my left hand was less coordinated and would make a lot of mistakes as I was typing.  These effects have since discontinued now that I am off the drug.  Mirtazapine is a strange drug.
  • Posted

How long did it take you too sleep again I'm not sleeping at all n it's making me much worse did you take any sleeping tablets doctors gave me some but I don't wa t too take them all the time xx

• Posted

Hi,

I still have some trouble with sleeping, but it is getting better all the time.

It took quite some time to get at least decent sleep.  I did use zolpidem as low dose because didn't want to mess up my brains with another drug.

The best thing for me was when I stopped thinking about how to sleep. If I didn't, I just kept my eyes closed and thought this is much better this way than watch tv. Eye-patch was the key!!

About month ago I stopped taking zolpidem totally. Now I'm using only magnesium and melatonin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.