mirtazapine tampering

Posted , 4 users are following.

i am at my wits end!

i suffer with seasonal depression every year. one year the depression carried on into the spring time. the doctors offered me AD's every year but i always declined.

i decided this paticular year to agree in trying medication. first i was put on sertraline which gave me a very bad reaction and then mirtazapine.

id also like to note i have anorexia and enxiety surrounding emetaphobia.

im guessing the doctors put me on the mirt to help me gain weight.

i started on 15mg and it was great, for about a month. i then upped to 30mg again great for about a month before i knew it i was on 45mg my anxiety is worse than ever, iv lost a further 2 stone in the two years iv been on this drug and im desperate to get off it.

iv managed to get down to 37.5mg from 45 with no issues and then anxiety talked me out of dropping further. i found the courage to drop again after 5 months to 33.75mg on sunday night and its been hell.

i cant eat, i cant sleep and i feel like i want to rip my entire skin off my body.

i need help!

advice!

and guidance.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I've been on this Metrazapine site for over 2 years now. I've not heard one good thing about it. I was on it didn't help reduce it slowly,. I would love to know why they put people on it!? Any success stories? Should be banned.

Report Reply
    • Posted

I' m a success story, mirtazapine and venlafaxine have saved my sanity and allowed me to get on with my life. You need to allow for the fact that people having a problem are more likely to post things on the site. Those for whom the mirtazapine has worked are just getting on with being well. Also everyone is different so unfortunately what suits one person might not suit another, and unfortunately you can't tell which suits until you've tried it - and that takes time,

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Pixie

Can I ask what dose you are on? I was on 150 Ven and 15 Mirt. After about a year it stopped working and the Psych. upped the Ven to 225. It didn't really work but I was able to function going to the gym and doing voluntary work at the hospital. But now it is getting really bad. The only good thing is that I feel back to normal in the evening. I have always felt good at night.

I have had depression for about 15 years. The Psych. wanted to put me on Lithium but I was having an operation so he wasn't allowed to prescribe it. I don't really want to back to him as the only other alternative is upping the dose to 300 Ven and 30 Mirt.

Pat

Report Reply
    • Posted

I've suffered from depression for years. My doctor put me on Mirtazapine. I've now weaned myself off it. Nasty drug apart from the first week or so. Nightmares, massive weight gain, no lightening of mood. I would advise you to not go on higher dosage,unless you think it's helped you.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Patricia. I've been on 225mg venlafaxine with 30mg mirtazapine for about 10 years and i'm happy with the combination. Minimal side effects, and i can get on with my life. I tried reducing the mirtazapine very slightly but had brain zaps and agitation so i went back to 30mg. However i find i can reduce the venlafaxine a bit ( when i forget to take it!) without any trouble so i might continue doing that.

Report Reply
    • Posted

I was on 15 I put it down to 7. Then halfed that again till I left it. Don't get me wrong if it had helped me I wouldn't have bothered with the weight gain,etcetera. If you or anyone feels it helps keep on it,but all I've heard is bad things about it. Do Physicists not look at sites like this,or do they go by an anonymous study, took without long term effects.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Many thanks Pixie for your reply. I think I will have to bite the bullet and go back to the psych! I think I remember you posting me when I went on Mirt. I didn't have any luck with the high dose

I really envy you your success and you are right people only post when they have problems. Although I am having problems at the moment I would swear by Venlafaxine. I have never had any side effects with it and yet I never read anything good about it on here.

Many thanks again.

Pat

Report Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up