Mirtazapine taper sedation

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I hope someone can help me out. I am on mirtazapine for 4 months now. First i was on 7.5mg for a month, then 15mg. Soon i could not tolerate this dose, and reduced to 13mg. Was fine at this dose for a month. Then on Early september, i started to feel severe agitation on this dose and was force de to reduce. Reduced to 7.5mg, on the third day of this dose i was severly sedated, was Iike i wanted to be awake and my brain wanted to shut me off. I dont understand why this happened , because when i was at this dose the first time for one month, i didnt even felt near as sedated as i was. Now upon reducing, after being on 13mg for almost two months, how can this happen? So i reduced to 3.75, was on 7.5mg for 3 days only, because i was almost like fainting the entire day. On 3.75, after 3 days my sleep suffered for one night, but after 5 days, i felt much sedated, but not as much like on 7.5m, i persisted on 3.75mg, after 7 days and now it seems to be more stable. Never the less, i feel extremly tired during the day, hang over like a train as passed over me. I tried even to updose to 4mg, but felt too much agitation restless legs, returned to 3.7 and it called down. So it seems i am stock on this dose. Any body got this inverse reaction? Normally i heard it would be the opposite of sedation when reducing. If so, did you notice the same reaction after a drop in dosage again? Is like my brain is inverted.

Thank you.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sounds like you're having lots of problems.  No, I didn't have 'high pressure rebound', my taper was so slow I managed to dodge most symptoms, I did 5% every 2 weeks and if I had a hic-up I would hold even longer.  I occasionally got tummy flu so I would take a rest from tapering.  

Swapping meds could cause lots of symptoms, I'm not sure about Pregab or Zoloft, but I do know if you add them to the mix and then take them away you're bound to have a reaction right?  

That "doom" feeling you have there, do you think it could simply be the symptom of depression that can come with tapering/swapping meds?  After all these meds alter our brains chemicals and if you keep swapping them about your system just can't handle it.  

You say your Mirt tablets can vary in dosage from one tablet to another?  That can be difficult for you then, have you spoken to your pharmacist about this?  See what they say?  Not sure this should be allowed right?  

Best wishes.

• Posted

I see. But the high pressure rebound would only happened if you had low pressure, hipotension side effect when you started the mirt, if you didnt then it would not rebound i think.

The doom feeling, i never had it in my life, only after quitting zoloft who messed my brain neurotransmitters. So it was zoloft for sure. I have spoken with the mirt tablet manufacturer it self. They say its an accepted standard to allow 5% error range up or down. Spoke with a lots of pharmacies, who confirmed this. Perhaps many people didn't know this, but i can be almost certain this is valid for all countries, except people who taper or take it dont see the difference. What about the dream filled sleep did you had this also? Its the only sleep i got on mirt, it goes directly to stage3 sleep, wich is dreaming. I think zoloft destroyed my sleep completly, brain doesnt know what is stage 1 and 2 sleep. Mirt seems to reinforce deep sleep, wish is related to stage3 and dreaming.

• Posted

One of my mirt widthdrawal symptoms is a kind of pain on the lower left of abdómen, wish happens when i am anxious. So even if you are not anxious, mirt widthdrawal can mimic the same symptoms of anxiety. Did you had this symptom while withdrawing?

• Posted

Yes Mirt definitely can cause vivid dreams, most people sleep a lot  longer on Mirt, although when it poops out that goes belly up.  At least you know you are in a deep sleep when dream though right?  

I've not heard of pain in the abdomen, although nothing surprises me about Mirt now !  rolleyes  A lot of folk complain about gastro problems, and acid reflux, the list is endless !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.