Mirtazapine to Sertraline . . .

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone . . . been to see my GP this morning, having a terrible time with weight gain on 30 mg Mirt and my feelings of anxiety have returned, spent most of the last week crying, or at least it feels like that.   GP has decided that it's maybe time to try something new . . . I've taken Citalopram and Venlafaxine in the past but she has suggested the time has come to try something new . . . so I'm tapering 30 mg mirt down to 15 for 7 days and then stopping, and  increasing Sertraline . . . from 25 mg to 50 over the same time frame . . . hoping this works, and hopefully I will get back some control over my appetite too!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan, can I ask how long you were on mirtazapine,? as I feel the same they worked great to start with, then I find they aren't working much at all, and Iv put lots of weight on too,

• Posted

Hi Wendy, I was on it for around 6 months, I've gained almost a stone in weight and feel quite unwell due to the weight gain.   I think it also stopped working for me, it was fine at the beginning but lately I just feel as though I'm spending more time in tears than not so I think it's time to change.

• Posted

Hi Susan32309 I am also taking mirttazapine 30mg and have gained weight. I use it for sleep and it works great but I am unhappy with the weight gain I am going to talk to my Dr. about this issue and see if I can get off it or try something else staying on it and trying to lose weight is harder while being on this med.I wish you luck and hope you get the right med you need. cat196111
    • Posted

Hi cat . . .  I really hope you find something that works for you too . . . it's such an awful place to be isn't it when the meds you take simply stop working for you, or the side effects outweigh the benefits

• Posted

Hi Susan yeah thanks I see my Dr Monday and I am getting off mirt. I found out from a pharmacist that it is givin to people to gain weight a long with all the other uses its for.There are different meds that can replace mirt. so i am hoping to get one. and start losing weight. I will keep you posted. cat196111
    • Posted

Hi Cat, I'm on day 2 of the combo now and I've slept amazingly well with no bad dreams, feeling somewhat spaced out but that's probably the combination of the two drugs . . . so far so good.   I really hope all goes well for you on Monday, please stay in touch and let me know how you get on . . .  these drugs can be wonderful once you've found the right one . . . although I've only been on Sertraline for a couple of days now I've noticed my food craving is diminishing!

• Posted

Hi Susan wow! sounds like you maybe on to something in a possitive way.Thats great.Sure hope it continues to work for you.Yes I will keep you posted for sure.Hopefully with good news.but I have to get off mirt its my body right??? chat soon cat16111smile

• Posted

It absolutely is your body, I felt guilty at first wanting to change things but I have a wonderful friend who is a mental health nurse and she said exactly the same to me . . . it's your body and what you take has to work for you otherwise it's pointless!  Good luck - will keep checking for your posts!   I like having this place to come to - somewhere where I can express myself with people who are in the same boat!  

• Posted

Hi Susan 1 more day till I see my Dr.my anxiety isn't doing to good but I need to control it and not let it get to me I'm having some hope with the weight loss issue after reading some other comments as well .I keep wishing you luck.Cat196111

• Posted

Hi Cat - Bless you, anxiety is my weak point too, it seems we have quite a few things in common.    I've really noticed that my appetite is much more under control now and the awful cravings for food, food and more food are diminishing each day . . . only two more days to go then I can cut the Mirt altogether and increase the Sertraline . . .  my only real issue at the moment is that the lower dose of mirt is making me really tired in a morning but I can handle that.   Still thinking of you and wishing you well - I like being in touch with you as well, I think we're giving each other some mutual support and encouragement which all helps doesn't it.   Stay strong, thinking of you.  Sue 

• Posted

Hi Sue I have yet to see my Dr today and yes seems like we do have a lot in common glad I met you 😊 I will let you know what the Dr says thanks for your support mine goes out to you as well 😊 Cat196111
    • Posted

Hi Cat - just wondering how you are getting on?   I seem to be doing fine on Sertraline - now on 50 mg daily, I'm not getting off to sleep quite as easily but when I do go to sleep I don't have the horrible nightmares that I used to get . . . so far, so good - take care 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.