Mirtazapine- weight gain and lack of libido?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on mirtazapine for 18 months, going from 15mg to 30, and most recently up to 45mg. I've put on about 2 stones in the time i've been on it and have very little sex drive now.

Is this normal? I thought i was going crazy - I am heavier than i've ever been and i think this is contributing to my low mood.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi

I've been on mirtazapine for 2 years. I have also gained 2 stone. i was under weight at about 7st 8lb I'm now about 9st 10lb everyone tells me i look better and i do like being bigger so the gain isn't an issue at the minute. I'm still on 15mg but have thought about increasing to 30mg but worried i might gain more weight! I gained the most weight during the first year and been stable the last year. but no idea if the increase will cause more weight gain. seems weight gain is the the most people hate about it

• Posted

hello, its a problem for most anti depressants, though not for everyone. mirt does seem to be worse than most. read in a few articles, its to do with the medication interfering with the signal that tells us we are full, and satisfied. it is possible to lose weight on mirt, but you have to be strict with your diet. your first meal should be all complex carbohydrates, cooked and prepared healthily, with no protein in the first meal. this allows us to produce our own small amount of seratonin, which makes us feel good, and decreases appetite. prescence of protein in first meal, prevents this from happening. key is eating healthy complex carbs with other food during the day. this helps keep us feeling satisfied, and we can control what we eat. have noticed that i lose control of discipline when im more anxious. if i eat too much during day, makes me feel worse for rest of day. you have to be strict with yourself, and cut out all crap and processed food. if you can do that, when you eat in excess, if its healthy, has less effect on weight gain. i need the 15mg of mirt with the venlafaxine, theres no way im putting on weight, so diet was only option.

• Posted

ive cut out all red meat, all processed meat, cakes, bread, biscuits, chocolate, crisps and bread. literally do not touch any of these. if you can do that, you can eat more of everything else, not gain weight, and even lose it.

• Posted

if i cut all those foods out if my diet i would lose weight because i would starve. its all i eat!

• Posted

its extreme, but needs must, and it works. very hard at first, finding alternatives. oat cakes are good for snacking, as complex carbs. also think putting on weight on anti deps is a sign they arent working well enough. i put on weight on seroxat in last few years, when it gradually stopped working. lost it all and more in 3 months, when it did finally stop. nothing like extreme anxiety and depression for losing weight. sounds like mirt is working well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.