Mirtazapine Withdrawal

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all I've been on this site a few times I'm just asking for a bit of advise .Firstly I ought to tell you I was given 45mg of Mirt for IBS ,that was 4yrs ago.ive tried to come off it a couple of times without success .Right now I've been down to 15mg for the last month.My problem being the as I'm weening down the more tummy pain I get.(I must add that it's chronic IBS ) Now I really do want to come off this drug this time,and I'm asking people out there if you know of any way it could come any lower without the pain.I must add I seen my GP yesterday who's only answer was (yes Mirt is hard to come off ) no help.Ive also had all the other withdrawal affects sleepless nights bad temper and so on ,but I can handle that I just can't handle anymore pain.Id be sincerely gratefull for any suggestions .Sorry to go on so long.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am very confused as I have been on 45 of mirtzi for a couple of years but only as an aid to my zopiclone so i did not take too many zops. I have never found the mirtz to do anything and my doctor was weaning me off of them but I notice now she has taken them off my repeat prescription. Think she is too early but she is leaving so probably does not give a damn. Am on 30 and seem ok but perhaps i will not get withdrawal symptoms with these? Can get more from the doctor on Monday but don't know if they are affecting me or not.
    • Posted

Well David I'm led to Beleive the lower the dose you get the worse the withdrawal so take it slow and get a bit more advise from another Gp.           This drug seems to have a really bad name I wish I'd learned more about it years ago .
  • Posted

It seems everyone is different when it comes to mirt withdrawal. It's not been a big problem for me to go down and taper this med. I am even doing a two day skip at this point. So I take 7.5 3 days a week. I have been very very tired. They were right when they said the sedative effect is greater at a lower dose for me. But I've have no anxiety I sleep well and I'm eating just fine. The proglem for me comes  a week to ten days once I'm entirely finished with the med, although I admit I didn't wean properly. I didn't know I had to wean. The doctor said I could do a drug transfere without weaning.

for me the worst part was probably the gastro problem, sick like a dog, it went on for three weeks...anxiety and I was only getting like four hours at night. I remember one night I got to sleep at about 9 pm, woke up thinking it was morning and it was only 1030 pm, so add confusion to the mix.

i didn't wean properly...my doctor made a mistake, but now it's up to me to gather imformationthat relates to my body and go real slow slow slow.

a friend of mine has gone off two SSRI and had absolutely no problem cold turkey.

so it just goes to show, every body is different. I've read Effexor is the worst to come off and that actually most people report that Remeron as not being so bad. I went off paxil cold turkey and the only thing I had were the brain zaps. But not the flu type stuff. I also sleep we'll.

for me getting the right amount of sleep helps so much with withdrawals. My doctor game me Xanax to help with the sleeping and although addictive. I think I'm choosing the lesser of the evils at this point. ( I've never taken drugs to get high )

• Posted

Thank you Manuelmanuel  I'm still on 15mg and I've just wrote all that down,so when my husband puts my tablets out at night he can follow it.             Thank you it will be a good help,see how it goes 
    • Posted

Just talked to the people from CITA, they are very helpful. God bless them. When this story ends we all heve to celebrate.
    • Posted

Hi manuelmanuel can you just tell me if the Cita chart has come from the medical proffetion or who has compiled it ?
    • Posted

I do not know, i think you should call them, they are very nice. It's a good question.
  • Posted

Thank you Manuel, that is the same as my doctor outlined for me and it's working very well. I'm at 7.5 every third day and soon I'll be off. This site you posted was a very good one.

• Posted

This is great to hear. Are you experiencing any nausea? When are you going to be off it compeltely?  We have to celebrate!
  • Posted

Celebration is right.

i did habe a few days so far when the gastro intestinal was batty. But nothing like the last time I quit. I was stomach sick for weeks.

i do see my psych today. I think I have two more weeks.( I think I mentioned that she put me in Xanax and it has helped wonder for both anxiety and IBS ) Not a large dose but enough to help with anxiety...I told her I was super afraid after my last attempt. Norma, you need a new doctor. I went through three before I found this one and she knows what she is doing. Good results ....... She follows the same chart as Manuel posted. Thanks to everyone online for your help I'll keep posting, who knows...ten days after the last pill I might. Be sick again.....but I really don't think so this time is much different. ( already have gone three days in between pills and not much of anything happened)

yah!

• Posted

I'm thrilled for you Rose.Problem for me is my GP of 15yrs has retired and at the moment I'm just floating round the practise trying to find a decent GP.But I think your right I do need to find one pretty quick.Ive got to admit though I think there at a loss with me so they just keep throwing tablets at me,well I've had enough now and I just want to come off any Meds I don't think are doing there job,as I have to take enough Meds for serious problems.The trouble is they just put you on Meds then when you want to come off them they don't give you no help.Thank god for manuelmanuel   I hope all goes well for you .Big HUG
  • Posted

Big hug back to you and all of us that are suffering and have no help from the medical community. No matter the country, they all seem the same. Doctor here get a kick back from the big pharm company's.

my daughter is a chemist and even she looked at me a little cock eyed when I told her how sick I was from the mirt. Smart people who don't get it....UNTIL, they actually have to take this stuff.

hang in there, be easy on yourself, but some good snacks, and watch good movies and hopefully have someone to lean I on.  I Live alone...which sucks sometimes when you really need someone to help out.

💛💙💚❤️

• Posted

Oh my Goodness...Rose... Your daughter should know that any drug changes our metabolism... 
    • Posted

Big hug back to you to rose ☺yes your right people dont know how they affect you till you go though it liz xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.