Mirtazapine withdrawal advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there, 

I have been on mirtazapine for 6 months, mostly at 15 mg, only on 30 mg for one month and it was a couple months back. Last week I decided to get off the meds as I felt they were no long benefitting me. My psych PA told me to come off cold turkey which I was concerned about so decided to alternate at 7.5 for the last week. I took my last dose last night and feel worse - nauseous, dizzy, body aches, chest pain, out of it in general. 

I’ve decided it isn’t worth keeping in my system. Just wanted to get advice on if these symptoms are normal. How long will this last? Anything I can do to help speed up the recovery process? 

Thank you. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I was on 15mg for 11 years, I went from 15mg to 7.5 for two weeks then to 0mg had a lot of nausea, take zofran for the day and phenergan at night to help you sleep. It was fairly easy to me, the last drop I did get really angry and couldn’t sleep, so take melatonin if u can’t sleep well and mix it with phenergan, I only took 12.5mg of phenergan.
  • Posted

Hi OP.  Are you experiencing any brain zaps or body zaps?  What about twitching?  I had a lot of nausea while on this drug, particularly in the morning.
    • Posted

No, at least not at this point. I did every other day at 7.5 for the past week. My last dose was 2 nights ago. When I took my last dose I actually felt worse than when I had been off for 48 hours. 
  • Posted

Coming off mirtazapine cold turkey is completely the wrong advice .Tapering down slowly will enable the body to cope with the reduction in dose. I would say everything you are experiencing is withdrawal symptoms from mirtazapine.The longer the time you have been on mirtazapine the recommendation for coming off is longer and taper down more gradual.For myself I have been on mirtazapine for about 4 years at 45 mg I'm now on 15mg and stable from withdrawal symptoms at the moment .All in all so far it has taken about 4 months. So don't rush it .Let your body adjust and stablise before moving down again.

• Posted

A lower does of mirtazapine will have higher sedative effects. When I went from 30mg to 15mg, I was basically a zombie for a couple days. Your body will probably take a couple days to feel normal. Pushing plenty of fluids and exercise will be of great benefit. Your brain is not happy with the change, but it is otherwise causing you no harm. Non-narcotic, and you just need to power through.
    • Posted

Thanks, Trevor! That’s exactly what I am going to do- lot so of fluids and yoga. Hoping that since I did ok on 7.5 for a weekend have only been on the meds for 6 months total, that withdrawals won’t last too long. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.