Mirtazapine withdrawal after 9 days

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started 15mg taken daily at night, and I've decided to stop as I was getting panic attacks and anxiety... I want to be able to control them on my own without feeling so drugged up.

Is this possible after 9 days to just go Cold Turkey? I didn't take last nights tablet..

Any help will be grateful!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You should not feel any kind of withdrawal but to be on the safer side take 7.5 today,3.75 tomorrow, a tiny piece on day 3 then you can quit.
    • Posted

Thank heaps, though today I felt like crap.. but funny enough my anxiety wasn't as bad- still there but no panic attacks...

Is that a potential side effect?

• Posted

It may be because every person reacts differently to this drug. But the good thing is that you have taken this drug for only 9 days so there should not be any withdrawal effects.
  • Posted

I think you'll be fine after only 9 days.  One thing is for sure: any witdrawal symptoms you may experience, will not be as bad as what the Mirtazapine side effects are causing.  I've been on and off mirtazapine for 2 years.  I've finally ended up with taking like 1/5 of a 45mg pill.  Cheaper this way. lol

I ended up in the ER 2 different times because of severe bloating/anxiety/swelling due to mirtazapine.  It helps with my depression, but I've gained 30 pounds because of it.  The side effects may lessen if you stay on it, if the benefits outway the detriments of this crazy drug, that is.  Good luck and God bless you.

• Posted

hi Ohman, perhaps just try a couple of days at 1/2 dose and then 1/4 and see how it goes . 
  • Posted

Thank you all!

Unfortunately my body ached and I had severe headaches! The doctor told me to continue at 15mg. I'm seeing him again tomorrow.. honestly I'm struggling!

I have to work and I can't even wake up on time for work as I'm so tired... plus I have 2 kids so it makes it so much harder!

I've been taking it at 8pm at night but not waking until 8am when I need to be up at 5:30am on my way to work... argh!

It makes me feel so down, tight headed, headaches, dizzy, and now my right ear is hurting and blocked!

I've heard going up a doze has a less sedative effect but I'm worried I still won't get up for work!

• Posted

How are you Ohman?  What did you and the doctor decide?  I'm guessing you've been on Mirt now for about 13/14 days?  

• Posted

Hi!

Yeah I'm getting there!

Yes still on Mirt, been 14 days now and I've been asked to continue it... it's getting better but still not waking up early, so having more time off work!! Argh!

How are you?

• Posted

So you've decided to stay on Mirt, well you might find the sedation gets less once your body gets used to it.  Did you start Mirt for insomnia?  depression or anxiety?   

I'm fine thank you, I took Mirt for 2 years and tapered slowly and stopped in January this year, alls well right now (touching wood).

• Posted

Oh I'm so happy for you! Congratulations! I send all the most positive vibes to you!!!

I mainly started cause I needed the rest... but am battling a bit of depression & anxiety... I need to learn to control the anxiety.... oh and the panic attacks.. something I've never experienced before!

The doctor wants to taper me off soon (don't know exactly when) but I'm so hoping to return to the old happy, bubbly me!

Today I feel a lot better... still suffering headaches but I need to destress myself in order to get back to who I was.. doctor has given me another week off work so hopefully I can adjust and move forward...

Sorry about the delay I'm from Australia.. so I'm guessing the time difference kicks in!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.