Mirtazapine withdrawal - Chronic Insomnia

Posted , 9 users are following.

After 3 months of reducing my dose from 15mg to 2.5mg I am still struggling with sleepless nights and I'm wondering whether to come off mirtazapine altogether? I am thinking of substituting it for nytol on the really bad nights.I would appreciate any input/opinion on this. I am especially interested in hearing success stories from anyone that has struggled with sleep during

their withdrawal? 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I'm also interested in hearing success stories. I tried to stop (abruptly) mirtazapine twice before and know the difficulty of sleeping. I'm currently on 3.75mg withdrawing from 7.5mg, started 7 weeks ago. Cita recommended a low dose (10 or 20 mg) of amitriptyline for sleep but my GP refused to give it to me yesterday. He said it those drugs have a lot of features of antidepressants and I'd run from one problem to another and that they stop working too. Searching on different sites for insomnia issues, I have already bought sleepthru (by Gaia), Ashwaganda and Gaba, I'm thinking of melatonin as well but not sure how to get it as unavailable through doctors where I live.
    • Posted

I live in the U.S. Melatonin can be bought in local health food or drug stores. I’m not aware of a prescription strength of it, not in the U.S. anyway. You may want to google it and find out more about it and possible side effects.

• Posted

Thank you Steve! I'll look it up. There are some US or Canadian online drug stores so it may be an option. Thanks for the heads up!
  • Posted

The psychiatrist took me I me them in a wee  from 45 mg to zero and by day 6 put me on 2 x 70 mg Lofepramine.
  • Posted

I tried nytol once when I had bad anxiety stopping me sleeping and doc wouldn't give me any more temazepam. Nytol had no effect, I still couldn't sleep. I'm starting reducing mirtazapine, going from 30mg to 22.5mg one day a week, then 2 days a week, and so on. To start with I slept less well on the nights I took the reduced dose, but this week there was no difference. I intend to take it slowly, and make sure I'm comfortable at each stage before going to the next step.
  • Posted

Scott, last night made 3 weeks since my last pill, a 7.5 mg. I slept 6.5 hours. However, I take Atenolol for a rapid heartbeat, and as it is a beta blocker, it can make you drowsy. But, I feel better this morning than I have since I stopped the Mirtazapine. A sleeples night is a horrible, miserable thing that usually means a bad day to follow. Hang in there and good luck.
  • Posted

Hi,I came off 7.5mg mirtizipine cold turkey in September,I did not know you were supposed to withdraw slowly, the withdrawl was really bad,and I could only sleep for a couple of hours a night,it took 4 months to get up to 6 hours a night,it does get better take care x
  • Posted

Hi

you were lucky it was as slow as that.   I was on 45 mg Mirtazapine for 3 days, then 15 mg for 3 days, then nothing after that and given Lofrepramine at 2 tablets x 70 McGilp.  It is a different class of drug and has no sedative effect and so about 2 hours after I fall asleep, I waken up.  The GP says my sleep pattern will eventually adjust, although I say how am I supposed to manage on a few hours' sleep each night but she just shrugs her shoulders and says I have a negative outlook, expecting not to sleep.  I would like to find out if there is some sleeping pill that I can buy over the Cou ter that would help (in the UK)?

• Posted

Hi scott

I have been coming off mirt over the last six months, I take phenergan but only two nights a week and on other nights calms and melatonin which I get from America but I take way less than the recommended dose it works well but again only few nights a week

Hope this helps I hate not sleeping, I was put on mirt for problems sleeping but they don't tell you about about not sleeping again when stopping

• Posted

Hi

i have problems sleeping and my Mirtazapine was cut from 45 mg to zero in 6 days and I can't sleep.  Is melatonin a sleeping pill and, living in the UK where would you buy it?

• Posted

First night without any mirtazapine. Took two nytol tablets and didn't sleep a wink.

I really need my sleep to improve. How long can I expect this withdrawal to last? I have been on 15mg for 7 months and I've tried tapering for nearly 4 months.

I am feeling shattered and helpless.

• Posted

Dear Scott

i found this post of yours. i am suffering chronic insomnia after quitting MIRTAZIPINE. Could you please tell me if you got your normal sleeping pattern back, and how long it took.

thankyou

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.