Mirtazapine withdrawal dizziness

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hey all

So I stopped taking 7.5mg 33 days ago. I was on 30mg for 5 months and tapered to 15 for 2 weeks followed by 7.5 for 2 weeks before stopping.

The first 2 weeks were ok, a little insomnia maybe, week 3 things really ramped up, 24/7 nausea was the worst symptom together with some anxiety, towards the end of week 3 the dizziness kicked in and if anything it's getting worse as i head towards to week 5, the nausea has subsided though and my appetite has returned, sleep is mostly ok but last night I didn't get any!

I started a new job around week 3 and somehow I am turning up everyday with the help of stemetil when things get really bad!

Has anyone else had horrid dizziness coming off this rubbish? Please tell me it won't go on forever, I'm getting towards the end of my tether now sad

I think I just need to talk to people who understand how hard this is

Paul

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Jumping off at 7.5 can cause a longer withdrawal. The best method I know of is to drop a dose every week or 2 or even 3. Then drop 2 doses a week, etc And take as long as you need.

You may be in withdrawal for a good while yet. Several on here went through 12 weeks of torture. Others not as long. We are all different, but jumping off at 7.5 seems to be harder. Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Not sure I can keep doing this guys, I feel terrible and keep contemplating reinstating
    • Posted

I would try your best to keep going if you can, but if it becomes unbearable then maybe try just a really small dose to see if it helps your symptoms subside, that's what I intend to do if I can't cope. I know through experience that every time I went up higher I had to go through the withdrawal all over again best wishes
    • Posted

Thanks Craig

Its just really tough holding down a job whilst going through this, something has to give

• Posted

Hey Paul, how are you doing today? I can only imagine how tough it is to keep working when you feel like crap...

Maybe reducing to 3.75 and then further tapering off may help??

• Posted

Hey Mermaid

Sorry, I went quiet again! Bad day today, I can't cope with the dizziness/unsteadiness, I'm barely functioning at work, spent this evening crying/feeling scared and totally unsure of what to do. I cannot put another mirtazapine in my body, hateful drug! I am considering going back on Citalopram though, but that means at least 2 weeks of startup side effects. I'm only on my third week of a new job so I can't go sick, I'm terrified I'm gonna lose my job and then my flat etc. 

• Posted

I was on 15mg for a year and had bad dizziness after about 4 weeks at night which was quite scary. It's been 3 months now and still get the odd dizzy spell.

• Posted

Hi Paul, 

i am hoping that you are currently doing well. 

I am in the process of discontinuing and am experiencing the dizziness. It’s been 3 weeks since my last dose and am going quietly out of my mind. I can’t find any encouragement anywhere that this will soon subside. How long did it continue for you?

• Posted

did you ever get over the dizziness and wooziness, and how long did it take you ???

i was only on it 5 weeks, 5 weeks to long

lee

• Posted

Hi Paul,

I know this is an old post however i came across it when googling Mirtazapine withdrawal symptoms .

Ive been on 15mg for 2yrs and I wanted to come off them. Dr advised halving the tablets to 7.5mg.

I didn't start with dizziness until about a week later so i didnt attribute the dizziness to the tablets at first. But now I am convinced this is what it is. Every time I move my head from side to side i get this wave of dizziness. I'm supposed to be taking one every other night now but i am fearful that my symptoms will worsen.

I came off Sertraline cold turkey before i went on to Mirtazapine and that was horrendous for about 10 days. I am shocked that just a small reduction in the dosage has effected me so much. I thought that by tapering and doing it properly, I would be ok.

How long did your dizziness last for? I'd love to know how you got on. Like you, I have a job to do too and i'm in a new role in my organisation and I really want to stay there.

I'm absolutely dreading the part where i miss a dose every other day. I'm hoping my brain will start adjusting soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.