Mirtazapine Withdrawal- Hang In There

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to give some hope to those struggling with Mirtazapine withdrawal.  Long story short I was given WAY too high a dose of mirt. to help with occasional insomnia a few years ago and my body had a terrible reaction (Constant Anxiety, Depression when I had never been depressed before, etc.) I told my psychiatrist that I wanted to come off and they said I could come off of 45mg cold turkey (which is a laughable statement in hindsight) and thats what I did.  I dropped to 7.5mg immediately and stayed there until coming off completely.  Que the most difficult few months of my life.  The main effects of WD were really intense depersonalization/derealization, suicidal thoughts, occasional panic/anxiety, and just general confusion.  I've been off mirt. for about a year and a half now and I'm just starting to feel back to my normal self.  I want people to know that it can take a really long time for the WD effects to go away, but if you listen to your body and mind you WILL see it through.  Just take it as slow as you need to.  This whole experience actually has led to some of the best times of my life, and i wouldn't have made the lifestyle changes I did unless that happened.  Here are some of the things I did to help me through the WD:

-Meditation(LIFE SAVER)

-Asked my Doctor for small amount of Ativan to help with the anxiety in the first few months

-Explained my situation to my family/friends

At the end of the day know that there's nothing wrong with you and you will get through this smile. Much love to you all!

7 likes, 100 replies

100 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I started on 15mg mirtazapine 10 weeks ago, after one week I increased to 30mg as 15 wasn't helping with my anxiety. Saw my doctor at 6 weeks and said that I was still not feeling any better so I was given 45mg with the advice to increase it slowly if I wanted. Eventually I increased to 45mg for 5 days but felt like a zombie! I'm now decreasing the dose slowly as I don't think this tablet is for me! I'm hoping that if I've only been on it a short time I won't have withdrawal symptoms.The only benefit I found is that I get a good nights sleep.

• Posted

I'm hoping that I don't get any withdrawal symptoms, have been on mirtazapine for nearly 10 weeks, I'm on 15mg at the moment. Have decided that these tablets are not for me!

• Posted

Be careful as the withdrawals are brutal and I’m sure even after 10 weeks your going to experience some good luck
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice Caroline, I've lowered down to 15mg at the moment, back at doctors tomorrow. X

• Posted

Hi  mike I’m having a really tough day I’ve only been off mirtazapine for a week now but I’m in complete panic and heart palpitations I feel drained and terrible head pressure is this normal withdrawals 
    • Posted

Hi Caroline,  i’ve been following your posts and see you are having a rough time with the withdrawals. I am in a similar boat to you. Been four days off Mirt and feel like my head is about to explode. How are you keeping at the moment ?
  • Posted

Been tough I’m now. 17 days off and it’s not easy I started 5HTP and L theanine today hoping that will help with withdrawals I really wish you well it’s a horrible drug to come off 
    • Posted

I hope you don’t mind me asking Caroline. What was your original dose and how long were you on  it. I was on 15 mg for 7 1/2 months .... brutal stuff, I feel poisoned 
    • Posted

I was on 15 for around a year and a bit then 30mg for a month then I decided enough was enough and I started tapering on December 20th and took my last dose 17 days ago it is poison 
    • Posted

Yeah I’m on 30mg now for the last 10 weeks, started on 15, can’t wait to get off them! 
    • Posted

I fluctuated between 15and7.5 for a year as everytime I tried to come off I didn’t realise I was having withdrawals and the doctor kept putting me up

It hard now but I have to believe I’ll get through this nightmare 

• Posted

I ended up on 30 last year and that’s when I realised it was the mirtazapine that was sending me crazy 
    • Posted

I was on 15 mg. It had absolutely no affect on lifting my mood but it used to give me a good nights sleep.  Towards the end it wasn’t even doing that. Why did you go up to 30 mg
    • Posted

Did you have any withdrawals whilst tapering or only when you finished your final dose
    • Posted

I think it does send you crazy, I'm so irritable and uptight on it! Hoping that next time I see my doctor I can start tapering off, if no I'm doing it myself!!! 

• Posted

I started on 15 and slept really well. Doctor suggested that if I felt I needed 30 then to increase which I did. Still have a good nights sleep but the tablets make me feel tired all the time! I'm hoping to start tapering soon as I don't want to be on this long term. I've never suffered from anxiety.

• Posted

How are you getting on with the mirtazapine withdrawal Caroline. Have you had any improvement in the symptoms yet  
    • Posted

Having a window today of feeling ok thank goodness it’s been the worst experience of my life getting off these pills still very dizzy and anxious 
    • Posted

That’s brilliant you’re getting a window Caroline, hopefully it’s uphill from here on. Did the doctor give you any diazepam to help with the anxiety 
    • Posted

How long were you on 45 mg Kaz if you don’t mind me asking  ?
    • Posted

Sorry Kaz I realise I’ve asked you that question before, you were on it six months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.