MIrtazapine withdrawal help (cita)

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hello all, can anyone advise me on the cita withdrawal process from mirtazapine. I believe they have shut down. I am on my third attempt of reducing and two weeks on a reduced dose of 15 I hit a wall. Getting desperate now as I can't get past this. As soon as I up my dose the withdrawal subsides. I have beaten my depression but can't handle the withdrawal process, can anyone help

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Craig,

If you are going from 15mg, say on a Monday take a 7.5, the rest of the week take 15mg. The next week do the same so you are just reducing one day a week.make sure you are stable doing that. So that means you are doing a reduction every 2 weeks. The next week say a Monday and Thursday, take 7.5 then rest of week 15. The same again the week after. So its done in two week stages. The next time do Mon Thurs sat on 7.5, the rest of week 15. And the same again the week after, that's exactly how cita have done it, I have their chart, only do each reduction once you have stabled on the previous one, if you need to do a reduction every 3 weeks, that's fine too, its at your pace.

Once you are totally down to 7.5, stay on that for 2 to 3 weeks to get stable again.

Then start the process again.

Say on Monday take 3.75, rest of week 7.5, and the same the next week, until you feel stable, then drop to 3.75 on 2 days a week, exactly the same process as before.

Are you going to go onto another AD for your final reduction Craig? If not, you may be able to get the liquid mirtazapine, whereby you drop a ml every 2 weeks again, its a very long process isn't it, but as you have tried so hard, just get yourself stable til you feel no withdrawal, an then take the next step down, if I can be of any more help, get in touch,

Best of luck sweetheart..

• Posted

Hello Craig,

Some of us are more sensitive than others.  Whilst I agree with the CITA protocol, I would say go down to 12.5 then 10 then 7.5 then 5 etc - adjusting every 3 weeks and NOT every 2 weeks as you may have may have lost your confidence a little regarding WD it might be better to be easier on yourself.

• Posted

Thank you both for your kind replies and advice, I need all I can get at the minute as its dreadful, I have dropped from 30 to 15 two weeks all but a day and was doing quite well but now feel really rough, I'm wondering whether to rotate on 22.5/15 for a couple weeks to see if this would stable things out a bit as I feel I may have come down a little fast? My only concern is it a good idea to go up a little now I've come down, anymore advice would be extremely helpful many thanks
    • Posted

You've halved it havn't you, yes I think your body is telling youu it's too fast ... not easy to see the wood for the trees/access yourself I guess.  Have a look at the CITA Craig and consider halving the level of WD yet again, as some do.  

Have a look on this forum at Withdrawing from Mirt' and make an informed choice, no point in putting yourself through hell if you can avoid it.  

The CITA advice doesn't tell you to do 7 days of a lower dose, it's far less than you have been trying.  I'm no expert, but as this is your third attempt, and I really feel your pain ... and understand your determination, I would take a step back, 22.5 still sounds a big jump, maybe alternate it with 30 at the least - but CITA is even less.

Thinking of your Craig, let us know how you get on.

• Posted

I did halve the 30 dose but I was only on 30 for 3 weeks previous, before that months on 22.5. I seem to have made it to the 2 week marker on 15 so think I should probably just keep going from now, if I up it I will probably bring the sedated effect back on. I've had my propranolol dose increased today which seems to have kept me pretty calm, so will persevere, and hope things settle a bit before my next drop. All us folk want is to feel ok on a day to day basis, what a life, still determined to go forward, love to all those battling
  • Posted

I feel for you. I guess I was just lucky I did have a couple days of jitters but I quit rather easily. I guess the klonapin was the reason why . But the Mirt was making me gain weight at a staggering pace. From 155 pounds to 201 doesn't sound like much but it was. Good luck you will be fine
    • Posted

Hi pat

Could you tell us how you withdrawan taper wise please? Although cita is good, we are all different aren't we, I like to hear of a good success story

Take care Pat

• Posted

Just had a read-up of "Klonapin" that you mentioned Pat, hellish nightmare to get off I read ... sorry, just thought folk should know before thinking there is an easy way off Mirt.

Best wishes

• Posted

I have to say I agree with the statement about klonapin. It was a combination that I was prescribed when I had basically a nervous breakdown. . Hen I took both it took a month to get me back to being able to get back to work. Then I gained the weight at 15 mg a day of mirt. A month later I had gained even more weight so my dr. Upped the dose of Mirt to 30 mg saying this would level my weight gain out. It didn't and I decided to quit taking it completely it wasn't fun and didn't sleep well but I have since lost 15 pounds and feel great . I haven't missed a day of work in 9 months.
  • Posted

Just thought I would update in case its helps anyone. I have managed to make it 2 weeks on a reduced dose of 15mg. Tonight I start the next reduction of 7.5. Dr has advised to do this alternate nights with 15mg. Will see how i go. Still getting lots of anxiety through the day, but believe its more my body not wanting to let go. Have also ben offered a Prozac bridge if things dont go well enough with the withdrawals, its well documented and may be needed if I start to slide, keep well all

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up