Mirtazapine withdrawal success stories? Anyone else a victim of doctor abuse?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I started taking medication when I was around 15 and am currently on the following:

Cymbalta 60 MG

Clonazepam. 25 MG

Mirtazapine....

I'm 27 now. I began my taper almost two years ago, and successfully made my way down to 1MG from 7.5, which I took for well over five years (after being on 15 MG. So I guess I've been tapering for longer than two years!)

I was lucky to only have six weeks of really bad withdrawal symptoms once I started coming off of 7.5 MG. Nausea, insomnia, depersonalization, irritability, lack of concentration, you know how it goes.

I felt really good after I stopped 1 MG. For about two weeks, I woke up refreshed, had more focus, and more energy in general. I was significantly less irritable.

Then it was too good to be true and I'm pretty sad about it. It feels like I have a mild case of gastroenteritis most days and there's a lot of food I can't eat. I haven't slept through the night in over a month and while I can pretty successfully knock myself out with copious sleep support supplements (Melatonin, Passion Flower, Lemon Balm, Glycine) and OCASSIONALLY upping other meds I take (clonazepam), it's hard for me to tell how well I'm doing because I'm so run down from broken sleep. I usually spend my weekends catching up, so now I'm back in bed too tired to do anything again (which is why I stopped).

It's been a little over a month since I stopped taking Mirtazapine. I'm really hoping for tips to get over this hurdle, and am hoping someone who has successfully stopped this horrible drug might have recommendations.

It's really discouraging to see post after post of people in such bad shape. I was a kid when I let someone put me on a lot of meds I arguably didn't need so many of and at such high doses, but my parents were trying to be good parents and listened to a very script happy doctor.

I had no idea that when I was 15 and just wanted help I would be signing up for this. I've always been so responsible and it's really hard to be this uncomfortable and have had so much of my twenties taken by side effects from medication.

I'm working really hard to heal myself. Thank you for listening.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

i am in a similar situation. 9 days off mirt after 2 year taper. i am getting some withdrawal but mostly just flat and tired.

also on venlaflaxine and 10mg of diazepam. i suspect the other drugs are contrubuting to my issues. i plan to get off the diazepam next.

it can take a good few months to recover from getting off a med. i also jumped off at 1mg. no stomach problems really yet. so yours started at 2 weeks off ? i am still sleeping. when did you sleep stop ?

• Edited

I came off 30mg mirtazapine with no problems at all. I was on it for about 7 years. I had no withdrawl symptoms. I thought it was an easy one to come off.. The only antidepressant I had symptoms coming off was effexor.

• Posted

Hi there, sounds positive, did you taper your medication or did you have a kind understanding doctor . it seems they treat everyone the same here at my doctors and don't listen or look at your records for past problems.

• Edited

My doctor was really nice and understanding. I did taper, I can't remember exactly how as it was a while ago now, but towards the end of my taper, I went to taking it every 2nd day for a while, then every 3rd, until stopped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.