Mirtazapine Withdrawal- the key to success

Posted , 57 users are following.

In a month I will have come off mirtazapine completely and for some of that time I have been able to work and do my job pretty darn well.

I went on mirtazipine for anxiety and it did not work and I put on 1 stone in weight was drowsy all the time and generally doped out. In some ways it was actually causing more anxiety and depression as well. Withdrawing from mirtazapine is different for every person and everyone has to go at their own pace. For me, it was extremely slowly when I got down to 7.5mg and lower. The tablets don't allow you to do this so request the mirtazapine solution that you dispense with a 1ml syringe into a little bit of water every night. Going cold turkey is a terrifying experience, the one most awful experience of my life and its also dangerous. I do not agree with people advocating taking valium during the withdrawal process because for anxious or depressed people a drug that powerful leaves you vulnerable to addiction because speaking from personal experience that is exactly what happened to me. Valium in my experience is nowhere near as hard to withdraw from than mirtazipine because it is so short term whereas the mirtazipine is a long drawn out business making it hard to lose perspective on what is a withdrawal symptom and what is your underlying problem. I kept a diary of my symptoms so I could look objectively at what I was experiencing and sort it out, but I still forget sometimes. As I said earlier about some of the time I have been able to work Im talking about the past 6 months where I have been following a plan devised by myself that works if you find the quicker withdrawals like \"half a table for a week then nothing\" or cold turkey dont work. There is a website by the organisation called CITA (google it) and they have a Back To Life handbook that you pay £13 for and it gives you a specific plan for mirtazipine withdrawal, tells you supplements to take such as the powerful detox drink Noni Juice, how to alter your diet to help decrease withdrawal symptoms. I had my vitamins tested and whereas before the process I was fine, afterwards I had a chromium deficiency making me very sensitive to sugar. If you can hack it I have found that a low carb, low sweetner, low sugar diet like the Atkins or the Dukan diet work very well as the mirtazipine plays around with your blood sugar levels and therefore makes you even more unstable. My basic way of withdrawing was this:

Ill use the drop from 0.1ml to 0ml (of syringe solution which with the 7.5mg solution equates to about 0.75mg very very tiny!!) as an example because that is what I am doing right now:

Week 1, take 0.1ml apart from wednesday when you take nothing

Week 2, take 0.1ml apart from monday and wednesday \"\"\"

Week 3, take 0.1ml apart from monday, wednesday and friday \"\"\"

Week 4, take 0.1ml apart from monday, wednesday, friday and sunday

Week 5, take 0.1ml apart from monday, tuesday, wednesday, friday and saturday (only take 1ml on thursday and sunday)

Week 6, take 0.1ml only on thursday.

week 7 , take nothing!

So each week you are cutting out one day of the week's dose which I have found really suits mirtazapine because if you just drop down a dose the withdrawal hits you really hard 2 weeks after and by 3 weeks on the dose I was horrifically depressed. If its too fast you can do the week 1 pattern for 2 weeks etc which I did for a while. I do see what they mean about mirtazapine having a short half life because it does hit you in the face at the 3 weeks marker, it is as if it just leaves the body very quickly between 2 and 3 weeks of dropping a dose. The gradual withdrawal that I ended up doing I think really suits mirtazipine because of this aspect.

The drop downs I did was, 30mg, 15mg, 7.5mg (half a tablet) (with the tablets I simply dropped the dose again when the withdrawal symptoms subsided) this bit was debilitating and I do not advocate it. Use the plan set out in the Back To Life booklet instead. When I tried to go to nothing from 7.5 then I experienced absolute horribleness. So I switched to solution and did 1ml (7.5mg), 0.9ml, 0.8ml, 0.7ml, 0.6ml etc etc down to 0.1ml which Im doing now. I got the solution from my GP so it is not hard to obtain it in the UK, it costs the same as a regular prescription, i think it is available in America aswell but im not too sure.

Finally i will just outline my withdrawal symptoms: vivid dreams, disrupted sleep/over-sleeping (I did a test using SleepCycle, an app for the iPhone to test whether a small dose of mirtazipine could affect my sleeping and I found with the analysis tool that I had much less deep sleep and was much more easily disturbed to being fully awake during the night than when I didnt take any mirtazipine. I think this is why you oversleep on mirtazipine.) Paranoia, itching skin, body shocks (like tingles that run from the top of your head to your toes), headaches, fatigue, bruxism or teeth grinding (can make my jaw ache), depression, anxiety, nausea, burning mouth syndrome (like a numb tingling in your tongue), floating sensations when going to sleep, cravings for sugar and carbs, confusion, forgetfulness, angry outbursts, irritability, hot/cold flashes, insomnia (the most disturbing for me but on my really slow plan I dont get this problem at all), social withdrawal (probably because my emotions were so erratic i was embarassed for anyone to see me), body aching especially in my back where I hold most of my tension, sensitivity to noise and light, blurred vision.

Some more tips: People often fear it is their illness coming back when they are experiencing withdrawal symptoms, this was not true for me because as I am nearly off mirtazipine now it is the best I have felt since I started taking antidepressants. They are only supposed to be used short term but I ended up on them for 6 years. If you felt no effect with the antidepressants after a few months it is best to come off them. Dont even risk it with drinking alcohol, it makes the withdrawal even worse, your body is going through a lot and it needs as little rubbish to deal with as possible. If you feel a burst of energy as I have done during this process even if it is 9pm go for a jog. Dont just sit around waiting for it to turn into a panic attack. And finally go with the flow and remember its not real and only temporary. \"This too shall pass.\" So just do your best at real life and hibernate through it all. This drug is not easy to come off just as all antidepressants are hard to come off, it has been compared to heroin withdrawal and having researched heroin withdrawal I agree with the comparison. If you drop too suddenly and end up seeing the doctor because you are suicidal and at your wits end you must slow down and dont let them just pump you back up to 30mg, just go back up to the last dose you took before you went crazy and go slower next time. A word of warning: the majority of GPs and doctors do not understand antidepressant withdrawal and from my experience neither do psychiatrists fully, they just prescribe. However you must not blame them for their ignorance even though it is hard not to when you are in hell, you put the drugs in your mouth so YOU have to get yourself rid of them at YOUR pace. It is sadly the ways things are in the UK at the moment.

The best of luck to anyone who is on this road.

I hope something I said in there helped you.

If it didn't nothing lost!

Kathryn.

24 likes, 157 replies

157 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you Sandra

I am still unsure what to do since she is in a nursing home and I have less control over what happens. I don't want to risk them taking her off suddenly from reading all of your experiences on here...

It is so helpful to hear real people's experiences and I am discussing it with family

Harmony

• Posted

hiya harmony cheesygrin

to be honest, at your aunts age i dont think its doing her any favours to come off her meds, withdrawl can be very confusing and frightening the first time you do it, shes probably frightened and confused enough with the parkinsons/dementia without adding further misery for her.

at her age it really doesnt matter how many meds shes on, just so long as it makes her life easier does it ?? id leave things as they are, leave it up to the doctors etc to decide wink

cheers,

Ken~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Posted

Hi all I was on 40mg Mirt for 4 years and gained so much weight so decided I needed to come off it I went to see my GP and he said he would change me to one that did not cause weight gain, so dropped my dose to 15mg for two weeks then on the Friday I was to stop completely and start the new a/d on the Monday that was the 18th Jan this year, well I decided I was sick of taking medication so never started the new ones and have now had 7 weeks of hell on earth, agonising stomach pains, non existent appetitte and when I did eat it I just had no end of burping it felt like I was when I had gallstones and before they removed them and my gallbladder, crying, chronic fatigue, poor sleep pattern, I saw my GP on week 4 and he said I did wrong by going cold turkey but must have a really strong will power to get as far as I had, I'm just going into week 7, last week I felt like I was actually getting to the end of the withdrawal, was eating, light meals 3 times a day, started on my treadmill again, generally felt more me, then went to bed saturday night woke with chronic trapped wind in my stomach, had upset stomach sunday morning the agonising stomach pains are back and anything I eat is just lying in my stomach and repeating and tonight no appetite again, feel dizzy, just so fed up felt I had gotten to the end, but reading some posts on here I think its to be expected, I WILL get through it I had a good week last week and will again, and in time will be right out the other end of the tunnel, positive thinking has to be the way forward, your posts have been a great comfort to know I'm not alone, this will not beat me, I will beat this awful drug, best wishes to you all going through the same thing - we will all do it :-) x
  • Posted

Hi LindaK, I'm sorry to hear about the awful time you are having. I have been off the mirt for 10 months and I am still affected by dizziness, nausea, lack of appetite, chronic fatigue and poor sleep. I hope that these symptoms will get better with time, certainly the gut related side effects have slightly improved. Has your doctor suggested anything that can help you cope with your symptoms in the meantime to help make this time more bareable, eg something to help your gut related symptoms, exercises to help your dizziness & balance? I found acupuncture helped my withdrawal and taking vitamin D, fish oils and a good quality multivitamin that contained chromium helped too. Good luck and keep thinking "this won't last forever". xx
  • Posted

Hi Tina B, thats for your reply,it greatly appreciated, its 7 weeks now since I went cold turkey, I'm coping ok apart from no appetite but am having Complan regular but the worst is the excrutiating stomach pains, go to sleep with them, they wake me up during the night and as soon as I wake they are there, my GP gave me prescription strength Ibrophen gel to rub in, but it's not helping, I am going back Tues to see him, I have tried to be strong but these stomach pains are debilitating how long did your stomach trouble last for?. I am going to buy a good multivitamin with chromium as you suggested. Just feel like I have let myself down as I was doing so well, but can't cope with the intensity of the stomach pains :-( x
    • Posted

Linda, I am a little past 7 months, and am in the abdominal pain mode like you describe. I too was doing well, and then had a setback. It is called protracted recurrent withdrawals, and it is hell. I don't know if you will see this, as it has been a while, but if you do, let me know how you are doing. David
  • Posted

Thank you so much kathryn for posting your experience and possible solutions. Very helpful.
  • Posted

Hi All,

Just an update I will be 10 weeks off Mirt since going cold turkey and it has been a living hell, however I wanted to let you all know there is a light at the end of the tunnel, I am seeing it. My GP put me on 300mg Ranatadine at night and 10mg Amytriptyline but the Ami gave me awful dreams, so I thought why am I putting something else in my body when I'm struggling to get another out my sysyem. The stomach muscle cramps where agonsing my main symptom along with outbursts of crying. Well my grandson goes to the Gym 3 times a week and is on a course to become a personal trainer so said stop the rubbish in your system and devised this for me.

I take the 300mg of Ranatadine everynight to help my digestive system. Two 500mg paracetamol, and rub in my stomach prescibed Ibropophen gel and I am sleeping through most nights and not being woken up with stomach cramps. I take two amino acid tablets and I good quality multivitamin every morning with breakfast both totally natural ingredients from a Health Food Store and drink 3 cups of Green Tea throughout the day. I can happily say no more stomach cramps I am eating better but light food, chicken fish etc, and the past two days have managed 25mins on my treadmill without any stomach cramps at all, I know I'm not completely out of the woods yet as today was a tearful day, but definiately a massive improvement, I will have up and down days ahead I am sure, but to go so many days and nights with no stomach cramps is a blessing in itself. I hope this gives encouragement to you, and know this may not work for everyone, but wanted to share what has finally helped me, thanks to a brill grandson I have - keep going we will all get through it :-) x

• Posted

I was interested to note you had anxiety and depressive symptoms whilst on American drug Mirtazepine.

I had for some time suspected exactly the same with my mum: Really anxious most of the time and just been on a lovely holiday where she spent most of the time upset, lacking in energy.

Its a farce this drug - a confidence trick - all the more because it does completely the opposite to what's labelled on the tin.

Still on a top dose of it and not experienced any benefits.Why?

• Posted

Still taking 15 mg of Mirtazapine, but I am feeling much better now whilst still taking it. I'm much calmer. I 'm in no hurry to come me off the drug. I tried once and felt awfully nauseous. Better to withdraw from this tablet very very slowly over a period of several months.

I will attempt to stop taking Mirtazapine when I feel confident that life's events are more favourable.

JanieLee

• Posted

I just want to add to my original post that I am still concerned about my aunt's state of mind- she is still in a nursing home and so depressed now after being quite god for a spell after a lot of interaction with family in June 2013...but since then impossible to speak with or motivate and getting aggressive too. Of course this could be dementia starting at her age (she'll be 89 in October) but I am concerned because the GP is going to look at increasing her Mirtazapine...when I would have rather take the dose down from what I am reading here.

Thank you all for continuing to share your experiences. Its so helpful

Harmony x

• Posted

Hi Harmony,

I note that you are concerned about your aunt's state of mind. Mirtazapine is not necessarily the problem. As you mention, your aunt is now 89 years of age, and this could be part of her ageing process. I have a friend whose aunt is taking 30 mg of Mirtazapine, and she has become calmer and more focused. I am sure that your aunt's GP will not increase her dosage without good reason, perhaps for a trial period.

Best wishes,

JanieLee

• Posted

Thanks Janie Lee

I am grateful for your input. I don't know that he Mirtazapine has helped her to be calmer as she is not at al calm now and very depressed...It may be the side effects of it or it may be her Parkinsons/age related deterioration as you say. ITs so hard to know. But I definitely would not want the dosage increased having read the comments here. I am wondering about a different anti- depressant if she must have them

I will post back when she has been assessed by the GP and Parkinsons nurse.

Harmony x

• Posted

Please help me I am on 15 mg of mirtazapine and have been on them at various doses for the last 4 years tried to come off to go on another antidepressant and has been causing bad withdrawl eg bad thoughts extream anxiety ect. I already read how you can taper down more slowly and will try this. I just want to know if the extreme tiredness I am now suffering could be to do with the mirtazapine and if this will go when I come off them??
  • Posted

I am a 71 yr old man with M.E....originally started out on Mirtazapine 4 years ago when suffering from CPPS(Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome) which may have been allied to the M.E.

I started out with 30 mg and stayed on that till about a year ago when I reduced the dose to 15mg on the suggestion of my GP.

About 5 months ago I started on Pregabalin (Lyrica) - seems very effective in reducing the assorted M.E. aches and pains ....so thought that getting off Mirtazapine might be a good idea.

I tried unsuccessfully several times just going to 7.5mg ...but in the end , about 1 week ago now I just stopped completely ( from 15mg .)

So far the main effect has been the fluey feelings, some nausea at times , tired and disturbed sleep (with the Mirt I usually slept thru midnight to 7 am).

So I am going to stick at it ... as long as things improve I feel I must be better off without in the long run.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.