Mirtazapine withdrawals

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have just been told by my psychiatrists team they are changing my meds, and I’ll need to be off of Mirtazapine for four days before I start the new lots. I’m on my 3rd day without Mirtazapine and up until now I’ve not felt too bad, just bumbled I’m with things. But this afternoon I started getting pains where I’d previously bruised (but thought I’d recovered) and then later this evening It’s spread to nearly every other joint and my back. It’s quite intense pain, but I cannot find anyone else who has had withdrawals like this so I’m wondering if it is withdrawals or something else? Zapain pain relief has eleviated the pain slightly but can still feel it. It feels like when you get chilled to the bone pain but 10x worse?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mandate

Did you just stop taking Mirtazapine altogether.

If so that is the wrong way to do it, you need to come of it gradually by cutting a pill in half, do this every 5 days until you have come off them altogether.

Mirtazapine withdrawal can be hell if not done correctly.

Best wishes, Gandalff.

• Posted

Yes I did, but only because of the OT told me that I needed to be off of Mirtazapine for 4 days before I could move to the new medication they are prescribing me 
    • Posted

Hi

No you need to come of them gradually, as slow as you find comfortable.

Forget what ot told you, just take your time.

Gandalff

• Posted

I understand that, but to be honest, my original question was if other people had experienced joint pain, as I have looked for anyone with a similar reaction. 

I want to know if it’s w/d or something else. 

Thank you for writing me back though 

• Posted

Hi I came off them but I didn't get joint pain luckily I didn't get any withdrawals off them I was on 45mg but just stopped talking them I felt they were making me feel worse but some people need to come off them slowly xx

• Posted

Hi thank you for your message I’m very glad to hear you hadn’t no troubles x

My doctor has given me some pain relief and sleeping pills to help until the new meds are ready so I’m hoping that will elevate some of the issues xx

• Posted

Don't listen to anyone. Go back to your previous dose and take the half of that dose for 15 days and then see if there are any withdrawals. If so then you need to taper even slower. In. My case even cutting the tab into half didn't work for me and been suffering from insomnia for the past 18 months. Noone in this world knows about the withdrawals except the ones who have personally experienced it.

• Posted

I can identify with what you describe. When i tried withdrawal by even a small fraction i started feeling everything much more intensely so what would previously have been a niggling ache became more intense. However, if you are still worried, you need to ask your doctor.
  • Posted

Hi Mandage

Like I said earlier you MUST come of them slowly, very slowly.

If you haven't got a pill cutter you can get one from any pharmacist for very little cost.

Go back to your original does and cut a pill in half and cut that in half as well. Continue to take this three quarter of your normal dose plus the one you cut twice. until you feel you are feeling OK, wait for three days, Then continue cutting the pill only this time take half a pill. This should mean you would be taking three quarters of your original does.

For instance if you were on the maximum dose, cut a pill so you are taking three quarters of your original does plus the small part you had after cutting the first pill into three. I didn't have aching bones or limbs but I did have two epileptic like seizures. I was taken to hospital and had loads of tests including a lumber puncture. It was confirmed I didn't have epilepsy but was having withdrawal fits from stopping my dose to quickly. The doctor wrote a withdrawal plan which worked great.

I have copied the doctors withdrawal plan that is in this reply.

Best wishes Heartbleed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.