mirtazapine withdrawl

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello I am new here, I have been on remeron/mirtazapine since 1998, I just tapered down to 15mgs from 30mgs and Its my second day into the taper, I am starting to feel a little sick, dizzy, bloated and have stomache issues, I feel like I cant concentrate well. Will this get better???

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I don't think this is the best way to do it. It normally takes months to taper and you reduce the dose one day a week.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your inquiry, I only reduced it this one time, from 30mgs to 15mgs, I am not sure what u mean?
    • Posted

Oh ok. I thought you halved the dose for two days now. I never felt any difference right away after reducing the dose, never that quickly. If you go by what cita recommends it would be that you only take the reduced dose on one day in the week and the full fir the rest of the week i.e. 15mg on Monday and 30mg for next 6 days. Next week you again take 15mg on Monday and 15mg on Thursdaybut still 30mg in the remaining 5 days and so on. Aftet 7 weeks you're on 15mg for the whole week. You may want to stabilise on this and wait before further reduction. You may also take it slower and add reduction days every two weeks. I hope this explains it better but cita would be helpful here too smile good luck!
    • Posted

Yes I plan stabilizing on this before I proceed any further. Definetly. I notice the mornings are a little tough, but as the day goes on, I feel ok, so far! Who knows it may get worse but I hope not.
  • Posted

Hi kristine,I thought I'd been on them a long time 8yrs, but you've beat me. Anyway I was on 45mg and I found it easy to go to 30mg but like you I had Stomack problems so I went down to 15mg by going slower to 22.5 then I went to 15mg and stayed at that for 2mths because my GP said give it time to settle your Tum. I'm now tapering off the 15mg as slow as I can and my Tum is killing me.  I do Beleive this is a drug that's harder to get off the longer you've been on it. I've also found I have a bad temper as I've been coming down.  Try Googleing CITA PROTACOL they are brilliant at helping people come off this drug.  Please take care and go really slowly if your struggling go see your GP.
    • Posted

Hi there thanks for helping me! I talked with my psychiatrist about this but he is no help what's so ever at all, he told me to try 15mgs, and he also told me to just stop taking it. I told him he doesn't know anything about tapering, he said that's the kind of med that u dont need to taper, uh hello!! I said. He is not knowledgeable enough in my opinion.
    • Posted

Your right there about them Haveing no knowledge , they ought to come on this forum and read some of the stories people have when tapering off Mirt.        I think it's one of the hardest drugs to come off,and when I finally get off it I'll never go on it again.  But as they say hindsight is a wonderful thing.                   The care has all gone in my opinion it's all about money now.  Sorry for the rant but I've had my fair share of nobody listening to me 
    • Posted

Oh by the way, do u feel like u can think clearer coming down from remeron? Even though u feel foggy and a little unfocused???
    • Posted

I can't say they have much effect on me,apart from my Tum ,oh and my temper. My GP told me to take vitamin D for my mood but that's rubbish you can only really get that from the sun.  Each time you tapper I believe it's about 10days before you feel the effects.  I have 4-5people on this forum who I speak to who have already weened off it,and all there experiences are different . So kristine just ride with it and take it as slow as you like. If your like me determined to get off it you will.  It's just my poor husband I feel sorry for.lol
    • Posted

Did u mean the effects of withdrawal from mirtazapine takes 10 days?? I wasn't sure what u meant by that.sorry my head is all whoozy
    • Posted

Omg why do I have to know this? I am already feeling a little discomfort,why 10 days? What should I look out for? Now I'm really gonna want to reinstate!   sad
  • Posted

yes stay with the taper is differnt for everyone you have to just find your ownpace.

I was on this for a year heres how i did it.

3 weeks 1½ per day - 22.5 mg

4 weeks 1 per day

3 weeks ½ per day

first 3 weeks       2 1½ 2 1½ 2 1½ 2,  1½ 2 1½ 2 1½ 2 1½,  2 1½ 1½ 2 1½ 1½ 1½

next four weeks  1½ 1 1½ 1 1½ 1 1½,  1 1½ 1 1½ 1 1½ 1,  1 1½ 1 1½ 1 1½ 1,  1½ 1 1 1½ 1 1 1

next 3 weeks  1 ½ 1 ½ 1 ½ 1,  ½ 1 ½ 1 ½ 1 ½,  1 ½ ½ 1 ½ ½ ½

last 2 weeks  ½ 0 ½ 0 ½ 0 ½,  0 ½ 0 ½ 0 ½ 0

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.