Mirtazapine withdrawl

Posted , 9 users are following.

just wanted to share my experience so far of withdrawl from mirtazapine. I have only been off completely for 7 days so I totally realise I am not out of the woods yet and there very well may be more to come. I will try to keep updating. Am writing this I need the hope it mîght help someone as I myself have traveled through forums looking for other people's experiences.

my withdrawl has been as follows: was on 30mg for 8 months

withdrew to:

15mg for one month -all fine.

7.5mg for 4 days - felt very sedated on this dose

3.75 for 10 days - felt much better

1.87 for 4 days

then jumped off completely 7 days ago

i have insomnia but it isn't not too bad, can't sleep sometimes till 2am but then do sleep eventually for 4 or 5 hours or so. I have a prescription for zopiclone if needed but trying to resist. So far I have only taken half a zopiclone for just two nights (not consecutive) and slept very well. 

Today i I have been a bit teary and tired. Will keep you posted. Please comment if this has helped you in any way smile

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Update: now 13 days completely off Mirt. Still feel quite well! Sleep seems to be improving slightly. Haven't had to take a zopiclone for last 4 nights and have slept upto 5 hours each night. If I can just get another couple of days over with, say onto day 15 I will dare to start believing I am pretty much throughout it without any major withdrawl. Still darent believe it just yet! 

• Posted

Keep it up!! Sending positive vibes your way! Day 15 is nearly here!
  • Posted

Katie 04237

It sound like you are doing well.  It's so good to hear a good result  I want to start getting off Mirt.  I have posted yesterday.  I have been on Mirt for 11 weeks at 7.5 and I am wondering how I should do this without much pain and suffering.  Do yo have any ideas.  How do you get the 7.5 pill cut into 3.75 and then to 1.87.  Please get back to me.  Glad you are doing so well.

• Posted

Hi, I'm trying to get off too. This message thread has been so much help and encouragement to me! I'm down to 3.75 now, sleeping has been affected and my anxiety seems more in the morning, but I'm less snappy than I was.

At the moment I'm cutting the pills. Will need to get a pill cutter to go down to 1.87, they're available at the chemist.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Mary yes you can just cut the pills. I managed without a pill cutter even at 1.87. Probably not accurate, but I could managed to cut a 15mg tablet into 8 fairly even pieces. If some pieces looked a tiny bit bigger than others then I would just make sure  I spaced out the bigger and smaller pieces evenly over the 8 days if that makes sense!! 

Onto day 15 now without any mirt and still feel ok. This is the day I wanted to get to as I had heard so many people say withdrawals can start at around 1 to 2 weeks after stopping completely. I did have a terrible nights sleep last night, only got around 3 hours I think. But still ok other than that. Still no anxiety apart from a few random hours of mild anxiety one day last week. Still feel calm, stable, capable. Still feel a bit foggy but keep getting patches of feeling better, like Friday when I had a really good day. 

• Posted

Katie thanks for answering my post.  I went to see a doctor to see if I could get some help getting off this stuff.  She recommended I get a 7.5 tablet and cut in half to 3.75 and also take 5mg of Prozac.  I started last night with the 3.75.  Ihad a hard time cutting the 7.5 pills in half, but got it done.  There so small if I have to go to 1.87 I know they will be like crumbs.  I see the doctor again next week.  Hope this goes well.
  • Posted

Well done on getting down to 3.75 kirsty! You can do it!! I just spoke to my phyciatrist this morning who said it was highly unlikely that there would be any further major withdrawals to come. He has said that all along but I have feared this process so much I didn't believe him. He said mirtazapine was usually one of the easier ADs to come off. He really should know his stuff as well cos he the most senior person of the whole of our local NHS trust. 

I am daring to believe him now!! He knows that I check things on the internet a lot and keeps telling me off for doing so. He reckons the internet is very negative and biased towards the most negative stories of Withdrawl and creates fear. I really really feel for those people who have had a nightmare coming off tho,, clearly quite a lot of people do have a very hard time so idk. 

• Posted

Yesterday I felt crap, but kept busy and that really helped, I'm an over-thinker so I can

Imagine things feeling much worse than they actually are.

That's such interesting advice from the psychiatrist, and do you know what I'm going to believe his every word! I think a positive mental attitude is a massive key to getting through this!

Congrats on 15 days, you have so got this!

• Posted

I am an  overthinker too, just the same. Hope you are feeling better today Kirsty. I just wrote another post today for anyone interested if you click on my username you should be able to access it
  • Posted

17 days off now and feeling very well right now. Calm, stable, energy and clarity. Smiling. But did have a bad 24 hours or so yesterday and this morning, with a return of depressive feelings. I honestly don't think it was to do with mirt withdrawal, more like just a blip that I seem to have now and then. I got those blips just the same whether on mirt or off it, it seems. Still not sleeping well. 

• Posted

Thank you for continuing to update 😊

Sorry you had a bad day yesterday, glad it's passed today. I'm hoping to go down to 1.87mg as from tonight, I'm very nervous about it!

Can I ask, did you struggle with sleeping before Mirt?

Kirsty x

• Posted

Hiya Kirsty, no I slept fine while on mirtazapine, started to struggle with sleep only after I dropped under 7.5. Really hoping it will resolve soon. Good  Luck going down to 1.87. How is your sleep? 

Katie x

• Posted

Sleep hasn't been too bad... yet! Had one night where I really struggled, but other than that's it's been okay. I've tried to keep really busy and hoping that's exhausting me enough!

Thank you, I'm a bit nervous as I feel quite bizarre in the morning, I think it's withdrawal as I used to be a morning person before it.

I'm still keeping in mind with the psychiatrist said to you, it's helping me 😊

Kirsty x

• Posted

Well  sorry to have to let u know kirsty and anyone else who has followed this thread, I have had to reinstate Mirt back to 15mg. Had a very bad sudden return of depression and felt very ill. So much so I had to ring the crisis team. It came on very suddenly. It may or may not have been due to the withdrawl process, idk. I did get these bad spells anyway but it was a particularly bad one. I guess I panicked and felt I  had to follow the advice of the crisis team and my doctor. 

Anyway the good news is after taking 15mg x for just two nights I appear to have stabilised and feel much better now. So at least there is that safety net for anyone worried about how long they might have to wait before reinstating that you can apparently get back on an even keel quickly and it only takes a day or two. 

Bit gutted that I am back to square one but maybe a lesson learned. Also the timing of withdrawl with hindsight may have been not the best as so close to school summer holidays which I always worry about. I may have been sub consciously worryingly about the school holiday season and that may have brought it on idk. 

Will keep posting to let u know how I am getting on and if and when I decide to go for it again

• Posted

Should also add that I have slept very well since going back on, full 8 hours sleep. I also really don't wanna put anybody off that is currently tapering. The nature of my illness means I get these bad spells regardless of what's medication I am on. Meaning I got bad spells before Mirt, while on it, while tapering, and while off it, no difference. It's just cos this was an especially bad one that I really did feel I needed to take docs advice this time. It won't put me off trying again but I think I need to be more well in general before I try again. 

• Posted

Thanks for ur post Katie, I was hoping to start tapering down from 7.50mg, but I had a really bagful day yesterday and I'm now thinking the time in not right to withdraw. I just started a new job last week, so after reading ur post I'm just gonna stick with it & take Drs advice. Hope ur coping better. All the best.

• Posted

I'm so sorry you've had such a rough time Hun. You do what is right for you, that is all that matters!

I'm glad going to 15mg has helped you again. All that matters is that you get back into a good, happy place again.

Kirsty x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.