Mirtazapine withdrawl

Posted , 9 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi, I've just found this link and it seems just what I'm looking for. I've been on Mirtazapine for 6 months but my anxiety problems never seemed to improve. The doctor upped me from 30 to 45 and then the nightmare began. I was scared of everything and couldn't leave the house. I saw him again and he dropped me to 15 and 10 of Citalopram. Coming down off Mirt is terrible. I've had massive withdraw for 4 days now. Scared, shaking ,hot ,cold, cant eat I've lost a stone. Today's a little bit better but I still can't raise the courage to take the dog for a walk. I'm due to up the Citolopram to 20 in a few days, I pray this work 'cos this is misery.

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wow you sound like me . I’ve gone from 45mg to 15mg as of yesterday and I feel like  I’ve been hit by a bus and have the flu. I to hav stopped eating and hav terrible shakes and sweats. I don’t know what to expect when I stop the final 15mg. I hope you manage to struggle through ok
    • Posted

Hi Chris, just wondering how your going mate ? ? How are you coping with your battle with Mirtazapine ?? Hope you've had some break from the Flu like symptoms etc.. Take care best wishes.. Lloyd from Oz

• Posted

Not getting on very well to be honest. 

I’ve got my self in a pickle with stopping pregabalin completely on docs orders so as I can imagine I’m struggling 

• Posted

All I can say is stick with it I found mirtazapam dreadful, it took me to places I don’t want visit again if you get my drift.

I have decided to stop everything, not recommend but I can’t tolerate side effects anymore. Hopefully citalopram will start to work I think is from a different family of antidepressant ssri and mirtazapam is an older type medication 

• Posted

Mirtazapine is actually one of the newer types of anti depressant.

Personally Ive had good results from using it. It sorted my sleep out and my appetite came back. Pretty much wiped out the depression within 4 weeks. I still got spikes every few months though.

Im now on day 50 of being completely off mirtazapine. What I can say from personal experience is that all the weird side effects from taking/withdrawing do go. The only problem is I have been left with occasional anxiety spikes that can last up to two weeks. Im hoping time will be the healer of this as I am trying to get past this point in my life without medication. If things are too severe though I would consider it again.

Just make sure you hang in there as it DOES get better.

• Posted

Yeah, I think (hope) the worst of the withdrawal process is over. Maybe if they explained this part to you before they prescribed it, people would think twice about starting it.  I think groups like  "I Talk"  and "Silver Cloud" would rather people self helped but it's not always the way forward. Some of us need the help of modern drugs to help us move forward in the first place.

• Posted

Ivw been tapering off for about 10 weeks now down too zero for 2 days a bit scared tho 😣😰

• Posted

Max

I don’t no how u have managed it, that’s excellent.

I am well and truly hooked on the stuff and wake with tremors and the sweats and only get 4hrs on 7:75 mg

• Posted

I know ive been so lucky seem some horror storys on here wishing you all the best hope you get well soon chris x
    • Posted

Chris i went from 45mg to 30 for 6 weeks then 15 for 3 weeks m stopped 2 weeks ago im also on citaloptam 45mg have u tried that. I was on 45mg of citalopram for 15 years then was feeling really really low again doctor introduced mitrazapine i wasnt getting better so they upped it but the weight gain was awful thats why im coming off. One thing i do know is if i drunk alcohol on mitrazapine i was terribly depressed n anxiety thru the roof for days n days xx
    • Posted

Kaz

I have been on cit but struggled with the side effects and to be honest I’ve had most antidepressants in the book. My doctor wants me clean of all meds so he has a clean sheet to work from.

I have to visit him once a week to see how I am.

I suffer from a headaches which are disabling at times and the plan is to put me on amytrip only, but a high enough dose for pain and depression at the same time.

I hope it works for me.

I have tried every pain killer in the book but nothing takes the edge of it.

They can’t find any reason for the headaches, I have had numerous ct scans mri’s which are clear thank goodness.

I’m going to the nuclear medicine department in Southampton on Friday where the are going to give me a dat scan to see if that shows a problem but they have already told me it’s highly unlikely that they will. 

The odd thing is that zopiclone will stop it for about 4hrs so it at least gives me some sleep although not refreshing 

• Posted

Hi Chris, just want to wish you all the very best for Friday with your test. Hopefully u'll get some relief very soon. Take care mate. . Lloyd from Oz

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up