Mirtazapine worsened depression

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been back on Mirtazapine for 2 weeks now (45mg) and although I feel brighter today, I think it has definitely worsened my depression. I know I have to give it time to work but has anyone experienced worse depression in the beginning of treatment? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Where u on another medication before going back on Mirt if so it could be the switch between the two that is causing it I been on Mirt for anxiety / depression  and I started off at 15 mg.. 45 mg of Mirt is a high dose to start off on 
    • Posted

I was on Mirt for 6 weeks (2 of those were on 45). I started feeling a bit odd/emotionally numb/like a zombie kind of feeling and my doc told me to stop but I could handle it and after 5 days went back on it but I think Mirt was more or less out of my system so when I resumed, I felt like depression got worse... two weeks back on it and I am just starting to feel a bit better. 
    • Posted

Couldn’t handle- should be
  • Posted

Hi Ala when I first started mirtazapine they made my depression and anxiety worse fast forward 8 month and now my depression is alot better, I still get the odd bad day, they don't seem to do much for my Anxiety though. Hope this helps.

Leanne

• Posted

Thanks for responding it helps to know that it is not helping for anxiety I find it is not helping my anxiety at all and seem to be making me have more anxiety then normal 
    • Posted

Leanne, it’s so frustrating when we have to wait so long for the meds to work.... it’s lile eternity when you are feeling depressed... what dose you are on?
  • Posted

I'm on 45mg. It is hard having to wait so long but hang on in their. Definetly doesn't help my anxiety at all kat it's a daily struggle with my Anxiety... I'm trying exposure therapy now which is putting myself in difficult situations and try to get through them.

• Posted

Hi there. I just wanted to say that I felt suicidal for the first two weeks of my meds. 

It really enhances all the bad stuff. 

I hope that reassurance helps. 

• Posted

Are you still on Mirt? Did you eventually start feeling better?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.