mirtazerpam

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been taking 30 mg for less than a month. Tapered the last two nights 15 mg. Then quitting. Don't like feeling or side effects. Was given to help sleep and it has not. I have insomnia and some anxeity. Any options

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

This medicine needs time to work about five weeks.

Taken at night the side effects could be less next day, personally I would suggest you continue on with the medication for a further week. Where you supposed to see your GP to refill the script or does your GP expect you to take this medication over a longer period ?

I would suggest you talk to your GP and discuss your insomnia and there may be other things you can try.

You mention Anxiety, if that is the case He will be treating that in the first instance, the side effect of sleep may be secondary to the Anxiety you are suffering from. I take my medications, two different one hour before bed. One of the AD is not for Depression Anxiety it is used for nerve damage the AD suppresses pins and needles etc. So the secondary problem, sleep is a contraindication and helps me sleep.and controls my disability.

BOB

• Posted

Hi Pat

mirtazapine is a slightly unusual drug that changes its mode of action at different doses. At 15mg it is quite sedating and often used as a sleep aid not an antidepressant. As the dose increases through the range to 30 - 45mg the sedating impact is reduced significantly and it becomes a more activating antidepressant. 

I think it would be wise to go back to your prescriber for a talk about the best way forward. A month is not really long enough to get a true idea of how an antidepressant is going to work. Possibly staying on the 15mg dose to improve your sleep and adding. In something else to help with anxiety may be a possibility. There are many options but it’s important to keep an open dialogue with your GP or Psychiatrist throughout. 

Maybe an antidepressant more targeted at anxiety like sertraline or Venlafaxine may help calm you and in turn improve insomnia but please, please speak to your Dr there are many options but it can take time to get the right combination for you.

Good luck.

• Posted

I was prescribed Mirtazapine for depression & insomnia. It made me sleepy for the first week & it did help with my depression but after a week it didn't make me sleepy anymore it just made me put on weight. I came off them about 2 months ago & I don't feel any worse. Sounds like you need a change in meds & maybe some sleeping tablets to get you back into a normal sleeping pattern. It's horrible trying to function when you've had no sleep. Give the mirtz time to kick in if you still don't feel any different then I would suggest going back to your doc x

• Posted

Ask your dr about Serequil. That is great for sleep. It will raise your sugar. Ask to start with a small dose because it is strong.

Also, talk to your dr about Klonopin or Lorazapam for anxiety. They will make you tired at first but you will get use to them. You only need a very small dose.

See what your dr says about those two meds and ask him if they would be ok for you to take.

Keep in touch with us we will help to support you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.