mirtazipine and The Fast Diet

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all ,anyone tried the Fast Diet (5:2 diet) to lose weight? Been on mirt for 6 months - 15,30 and back down to 15mg which seems to be best dose for me.I did put on weight but did not bother me as I have been very well but recently it's started to creep up.So i'm gonna try + get some off -I have put on approx 2 stone + seem to be buying larger + larger sizes.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey there,

I can only give you my experience with mirt & weightgain, I was on it for 3 yrs & the weightgain has been horrendous, I've put on 4stone!!!

I joined a gym, slimming clubs, ate as healthily as possible yet the weight still piled on, since stopping mirt 6/7wks ago I've lost over 1stone.

By all means try the 5:2 diet, I really hope it works for you.

All the best & good luck

• Posted

I've not tried the 5:2 diet but have lost virtually all of the weight I put on due to mirtazapine by old fashioned increase in exercise and counting calories. I also take green coffee bean extract which I believe has helped me a bit. I am very happy with the way I look now after feeling very fat and frumpy. One thing I will say though, is that it is much harder to lose weight on mirtazapine than without mirtazapine. I think it knocks around 300 calories a day off what you need to maintain your weight. I have done it really slowly and have managed to keep the weight off now for 5 months. I have not felt overly hungry. I think I can live like this and continue to maintain my weight. But it's hard, I won't kid you. Good luck!
  • Posted

What's the 5:2 diet? 

I just know that taking Metformin together with Mirtazapine will help stop the weight gain. But in order to lose weight, you kinda have to get off Mirt and switch to something more weight neutral or be very very very patient like evergreen!

I chose to switch from Mirtazapine to Trintellix (called Brintellix in Europe) and it's magical. Works the same way as Mirt, but without the sedation or weight gain.

I was on 15mg Mirt and switched right over to Trintellix. Now I am on 30 mg and it's working really well. 

Obviously now I am also watching my calorie intake vs. output and am losing slowly but steadily 2 lbs per week.... unless I smoke a "cigarette" and get the munchies and eat a whole carrot cake with frosting! LOL

• Posted

Thanks for replies.SSRI's do not agree with me so I wld really like to stay with mirt.I cld try others but I really wld like to stay with this for 2 reasons-I cannot get back in to the state I was in last year while swapping + changing plus this year is a busy one for us so need continuity.Will keep you posted on 5:2 diet.......... if I take it up.
    • Posted

The 5:2 diet is you fast for two days out of every seven and eat normally for the other five. On the two fasting daays you are allowed a maximum of 500 calories, so you can have fluids and soup etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.