Mirtazipine dissolvable

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all 

I'm starting these tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone gained weight on these?

Cheers

Kenny 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi. 

I'm taking the 15mg orodispersible tablets and I noticed an increased appetite almost immediately. 

Hope they work out for you. 

• Posted

It is difficult to say. They seem to say that many psychiatric drugs make you put weight on - so is it Lithium (no longer on), mirt, lamotrigine or lamotirigine.
  • Posted

Hello kenny - yes you should definitely gain weight, I have always been a fussy eater but since I started mirtazapine I eat like a horse.  Now though back to normal eating and being fussy.
  • Posted

Hi, I have taken Mirtazapine for 8 and a half years. My appetite did NOT change - I am NOT a big eater. But unfortunately for me the main side effect HAS been weight gain. I now exercise but even with this, I struggle to keep my weight down. I do believe that this side effect varies from person to person, but for me it has been issue and with NO appetite increase. It is possible the initial weight gain was due to increased fatigue and an overwhelming sense of no wanting to do anything at all - again, I believe this lethargy to be down to the Mirtazapine. Just something to bear in mind. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
    • Posted

See this thread from 2009 [url=https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mirtazapine-weight-gain--185898]patient.info/forums/discuss/mirtazapine-weight-gain--185898
  • Posted

And just to add to the above - I have always been prescribed the dissolvable version. Best Wishes for you.
  • Posted

I have well-meaning or otherwise people asking me if I am pregnant or suggesting that I need to lose weight. As I say I don't know if it is mirtazipine. I even volunteer in a care home and I have had a lady with dementia pointing to my stomach. My excuse is that I think I have a slight curvature of the spine such that I can't do sit-ups in the gym as I don't have any back there to lean on.

I have never looked in to this previously but I think I have lordosis. Apparently the spine curve is normally but excessive is lordosis.

"A visible sign of lordosis is an abnormally large arch of the lower back and the person appears to be puffing out his or her stomach and buttocks"

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies, however I was on mirt tablets for a year and they saved my life to be honest, and I gained about 6kgs,

I came off mirt basically because of the weight gain,

However my phyciatrist has assured me that if I start back up the mirt in the dissolvable form I will not gain as much weight this time, 

So my question is have any of you tried the dissolvable ones, and is my phyciatrist right that the weight gain will be less this time?

Thanks all 

Cheers

• Posted

H Kenny,

Sad to hear that you are needing to go back on Mirt. but it helped before so hoping that it gets you on track quickly.

Your medico is feeding you a line, perhaps to induce you back on, but Mirt. is Mirt. irrellivent of what binders or fillers it is mixed with.

The only benefit from taking the soluble form is that it is night time sedating a little more quickly and easier for breaking when you are up to reducing.

The things that these so called health professionals spout I find at times staggering.  They may have different opinions if they had taken the stuff themselves.

Forwarned is forearmed, so try to be really strick with your carb. intake (not easy as the drugs most common side effect is carb. cravings) hopefully reducing the kilo excess as much as possible.

The thought that soluble Mirt. is somehow diffrerent to any other Mirt. is quite ludicrius and gave me reason for a good laugh, but not at your expense.

I think it is probably a good idea for you to go back on, but I would be asking your doctor on what evidence he based such a stupid statement on.

Seems like you have been off for a while now and wondering how long before you noticed any signs that things were not quite right.

I have been totally off for three weeks now, and still have the headache from Hell, but I know from all of the other reductions, that it will eventually pass.

Emotionally, feeling sound and never wanting to have the need to start up again but am aware that I am carrying a little fear that this might happen.

Best of luck, and hoping that this trip will only be a short one.

Danae

• Posted

No no Danae 

Maybe I should have been clearer, you've misunderstood me, I was just having a s**t week and it was me that suggested going back on to mirt, NOT my doc, 

He was against it and I was just looking for a quick solution, but after 2 weeks I feel great again, mirt in my opinion is one if the best meds, except from the weight gain, thanks why I was asking,

Anyways we both decided there was absolutely no need for me to start the mirt up again

All good, I was only curious 

How you been?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.