Mirtazipine taper

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi been on mirt for 19 months,now at 9mg or 0.6ml, tapering at 5% each 14 days.

Today is last day of 14day cut and should cut tomorrow. Just had 9 days of

feeling crap-aching legs, arms and lower back,sick feeling , lethargy. Before bad

period I had a few days of feeling great. Am I feeling awful cos of the mirt or is

the anxiety coming thro as mirt dosage is reduced? This is the debate I am having with

myself.I had CBT earlier this year ,20 sessions,.I feel a bit lost.As day goes by

I start to feel better about 6 ish almost as if when the mirt is reducing.I am almost ready to go back up to 15

Mg but it took 7 months to get down to where I am.Sorry but today

I'm kind of lost.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Plainden,

I have been on Mirt for 4 weeks after feeling depressed and feel quite a bit better. Many posts indicate many problems  with Mirt  and withdrawal. You said you had 19 months with the drug so why stop. I know we worry about withdrawal issues with antidepressants but if you were OK / felt normal on 15mg then why rock the boat and simply revert to 15mg. Life is about survival and trying to live a "normal" life. I know it sounds weak but get yourself back to normal and don't fret too much about withdrawal issues.

• Posted

Hi,thing is I was a total zombie on 15 mg hence need to get off.

I am very sensitive to mirt , the longer I'm on it the harder it is to

get off it.

• Posted

I went down to 15 from 22.5 about 2 1/2 weeks ago and started Fluoxetine at the same time which was a big mistake because I felt horrible also for almost 2 weeks. Had to stop the Fluoxetine but I couldn't tell if going down on Mirtazapine or starting Fluoxetine was making me feel like crap.

Been doing much better lately and started on a very low dose of Lexapro. I'm sure I have some tough days ahead but just hang in there it will get better for you.

Just know that the bad days won't last forever and it will get better as the days go by, good luck to you and I hope the best for you plainden

• Posted

Hi Plainden

Sometimes its hard to see the wood for the trees with wd symtoms, or to know what is causing what.  You say you had 9 bad days and today is day 14 (?) have the last few days been good then??  Have you kept a journal by any chance?  The pattern of tapering & wd symtpms is probably the same each time - I just looked back at a post of yours & it says

1 week good

2 weeks rotten

a week good

then 5 days rotten with anx

Hope that helps.

If I were you I'd not do the 5% drop, yet, stay as you are even if its only for 5 days or so.  BECAUSE if you do another 5% drop now and you get a little bit worse - you're going to be so much more likely to go back to the 15mg that you said above - you wouldn't need to go back to 15 ... it would really confuse your CNS (central nervous system).  If you wanted to updose you would not need to go back to youur last dose really.

So no decision to be made in mho ... stay as you are and wait for wellness to return for a while, be kind to yourself.

I would think any anxiety you feel is a wd symptom, not to be confused with any original symptoms you had before Mirt.  It is confusing, you're right, it doesn't help that wd comes in windows and waves, here today gone tomorrow then back again ... ugh !!

• Posted

Voices of reason !! Thanks to all for replies .I am going to stick for a

while and see how I am.Will post again soon.

• Posted

I agree with calmer 100% that you should just stay where you are for a while and stabilize at your current dose and try not to go down too quickly or give into the temptation to go to a much higher dose.

I know that it's easier said then done and I wanted to go back to a higher dose a lot and the temptation was strong but know it will get easier eventually.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.