Mirtazipine,Tapering Experiences

Posted , 6 users are following.

Currently on 15mg mirtazepine and holding until after new year (as I don't want suffer withdrawels over this period.Had been on 45mg for around six years and have tapered since May to 15mg now,with almost every withdrawel symptom mentioned,particularly bad at weeks two and three,but can just reappear unexpectedly.considering tapering the 10% method,and would appreciate all first hand experiences from those that have done exactly this.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

glad you are all tapering off as I it  call the "fat drug" I don't suffer from clinical depression as my consultant said it was just a minor eating disorder which thankfully I have overcome. I do agree with tapering as years ago I was taking gabapentine and had to be weaned off as I could hardly see (my vision was going). all okay no! yes, I did cold turkey but it's also important to really understand that it's not suitable for everyone. one step at a time regards,

• Posted

Hi chrisy9,  I have just also started again  tapering from 15mg  dropped to 13.5 last week

have had x 2 failed attempts last year , tried cold turkey on last attempt was fine for x 3 weeks then bang took me 6 months to get stable  , have been on for 20 months now for major  depression just happened overnight after prolonged stress buildup , they have helped me sleep but dont think done anything for depression and really want to get off this medication ( my 1st and only )  as i feel in a constant fog , i am ready to cut 10%  or less a month for as long as it takes , can i ask any experienced cutter when you get to a real low dose say below 2mg  does the effect of the drug all but stop  ( ie sleep onset , foggy haze ,  etc )  even though you are taking a tiny bit to stop the WD symptoms ??

• Posted

Sorry to jump in Paulo. The group im in only recommend a 2-5% decrease every 2-4 weeks as they say that way it's less harsh on your nervous system. I myself haven't started to taper yet as I was swapped over to mirtazapine from something I took for 20 years. Really bad move from the doctor. Anyway lots in the group are tapering at that rate and seem to be getting on OK.

• Posted

dont be sorry , its great to get a reply so quick so  thankyou , i will stick this 10%  out i think as have got my supplies for next month done , and then will 5% and see how it goes , can you name the facebook group i would be very interested or is it a private group ??
    • Posted

I am also tapering, having some bad nausea and ibs problems though.  Did you have these effects worsen as you lowered. I feel like im going mad some days.  Is this all to,domwith mirtaz?  I did try other anti deps a couple of years agomwhich made me feel so ill were stopped.  Mirtaz gave me sleop but i am suffering now.  I dont know if theyve done some irreversible damage.
    • Posted

ann55375,  i have never really lowered before just tried cold turkey twice ,  this is my start at tapering and feel a little worse but only a week in so far  , but i will be in no rush this time , would like to know if the effect of the drug stops at a very very  low dose , i would have no problem cutting for ever if this is the case , the cold turkey is the worst i have ever felt so never again , i think you need to go very slow from your posts , just be kind to yourself  why rush ?

• Posted

Hi paulo

hope your 10% taper will work well for you.can I ask are you in uk? And did you manage to get mirtazapine liquid prescribed,as I've heard some GP reluctant because of cost.please keep posting your journey,as its good to hear others experiences,and I really wish you well,and your taper is manageable,so best of luck.

I have decided that I will start my taper off the last 15mg of the 45mg I have been on on Jan 2nd,and I plan to do 10% taper per month,and if too many symptoms,will drop down 5% if necessary.

lets hope 2018 will be good to us all on this mirtazapine tapering journey.

• Posted

You can do your own liquid chrisy. I haven't started my taper yet but I know everything needed and how to do it. I know I won't be able to cut up tablets to the 5% drop that I will need to do.

• Posted

Hi Paulo,  sorry to read of your CT suffering.  I've never read of anyone being able to function after a CT.  

I just want to reply about the side effects at the lower doses you enquired about.  For me, and of course we all experience different WD symptoms at different percentages - some can do 10% a month some 5% some 2.5%.  For me it was in average 5% every 2-3 weeks.

So to reply ... at 2mg I was still foggy, blurey eyed, still able to sleep well.  At 1 mg I felt great, little or no symptoms.    I followed my taper right down 0.9, 0.8, 0.7. Etc.  To 0.1 mg.  Finally alternating days, then twice a week, once a. week

Hope this helps a little.  😊

• Posted

yes i am in uk and could not get liquid ,ive got some small scales that will measure to the mg , i plan to use them down as far as i can then go on to liquid , i found 13.5mg was pretty easy to do with a nail file, i will now go 5% every 2-3 weeks i think , good luck 

• Posted

thanks for your input Calmer it really helps as you have been there , did your taper go well all the way down or did you have any set backs can i ask please and when did you stop the 5%   ie  did you stop at 1.0mg  going down 0.1  every cut after ?

• Posted

Hi

just wanted to say in also in uk but when I asked doctor for the liquid to taper down from 15mg he looked at me as if I'd lost my mind!!!

i have 4 doctors in my practice and not one of them agreed that there was any withdrawals from mirtazapine.. when I asked my p.doc she also told me the same jump of at 15mg...

i had one 15mg mirtazapine tablet left so I'd no other choice but to break it in half and drop from 15mg to 7.5mg for 2 nights then jump of as my doctor wasn't giving me prescription for anymore...

glad to say I'm 8 wks free from mirtazapine!!!!

Makes me so annoyed that docs insist there is no withdrawls !!!!

Good luck to everyone who is trying to lower or get of this med !!! 

Kaz

• Posted

Hi, i am still going very slowly.  Suffering from nausea and ibs quite a lot for several weeks now.  I am wondering if this is the mirtazapine or is it due to my ex gallbladder causing gastric upsets.  Dr isnt sure. I have to report the horrendous migaines have gone which is great.  At my next lowering will all that come back do you think?  Im just not sure what is coming from mirtazapine and what is my natural state.  I do know im still very tired, no motivation and wonder if these will ease when drug out of system. There are no plans to put me on other ones as ive tried so many and bad results.  I still wake depressed but at least the vivid nightmares have lessened thank goodness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.