Mirtazipine withdrawal

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone;

I'm happy to have found this forum! My story is similar to to what remeron(mirtz) can do,even in a short period of use.

I was put on mirtz for sleep after discontinuing 5 years use of eszopiclone (lunesta). Lunesta is a benzo in

sheep clothing. The mirtz did help me sleep until the 5th week it was causeing adverse reaction after dosing.

It began to cause anxiety and increase heart rate after dosing. My time on mirtz was 5 weeks at a low dose of 4mg.

My last dose was on feb 8. Today makes 12days off. Three days ago feb18th is when I got slammed,

symptoms, chills,anxiety, deppresion, feeling like I can cry for any reason, headache, nausea,tinnitus,higher than norm blood pressure, sleeplessness & no appetite. I thought since I was only on 4 mg and 5 weeks of

use that I would not feel it. I know what benzo WD is and this is not it.

I truly would appreciate some of your experienes coming off and knowing everyone is different a ballpark on how long will I be dealing with this hell? Also since I'm I the begining stages of WD dose the clock begin when you get your first symtoms? And if there's any thing that has helped while going through this ?

Thank you all

Miami

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Miami, I can't help but wonder whether you have made a mistake regarding your dose. Please tell me how you have been taking 4mg and was this with a pill cutter and does your Doctor advocate this?

The reason I ask is the starting amount is almost always 7.5mg and maximum usually 45mg.

• Posted

Hi stuarto: Thk u. I had it compounded in liquid form.

Miami

• Posted

Ah ok, is that the highest dose and was it therapeutic? If you are experiencing wd symptoms from such a low dose I would suggest you reconsider your treatment options with your doctor.

I personally was on 60mg for a short time and stopped dead without problems. However what may cause me distress to stop you may find easy.

I still find it difficult to understand why physicians use this as a sleep aid as it is usually short lived being its sedative actions is due mostly to histaminergic action.

• Posted

Yes it is disturbing. As well as highly addictive. Granted it is not supposed to be as long of a withdrawal

period than benzo. But I am going through hell last few days.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you are finding it difficult. I suppose the one benefit of taking an oral suspension is that you can put the brakes and withdraw much slower than with pill form.

so Mirt replaced benzo or z drug use as a sleep aid only is that correct?

• Posted

Well yes and no. It was supposed to help with withdrawal& sleep after coming of the zdrug. And it did

But it just stoped working because of what you mentioned earlier, it's histamine effects. With me after taking

anti histamine for a while it just doesn't work anymore. How long have you been on the elavil ? I'm trying

Not to be on any drug. Before the lunesta I had no serious issues with sleep. I took it on ocation if I had to get up early or was restless. I was very stupid in letting it snowball into an every night thing. I never suffered from depression or anxiety until I started tapering of valium which was used to cross over& taper from the z . This was in late nov 2013. I had my last benzo on dec 16 2013. Stared on rem pill 15mg cut in 1/4 and starting

dose was 3.75 on jan6,2014. Have you read about how long this WD can last?

• Posted

So your initial diagnosis was insomnia? How long had you suffered? Did your Doc not limit your z use?

I have been on aim for a year now. I started on 50mg and still get amazing results from 100mg as it is not exerting it's sedation by way of histamine receptors you see. I also take Buspirone and Pregabalin. The latter is great for sleep architecture.

I would put your withdrawal down to the unmasking of your benzo use which is now poking through what the Mirt stopped for a while. I shouldn't think it will last to much longer, it is relatively void of major side effects and you may just need something different until you find your feet again.

If you are depressed genuinely and still having sleep issues, you could bring up tca's to your doc. They are very old and therefore very safe and effective for depression with sleep issues. There is a current discussion going on which may help you also.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/can-you-become-immune-to-the-sedating-effect-of-mirtazapine--83609?page=0&utm_campaign=forumemail&utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email#comment-183411

• Posted

Thks stuarto:, will do. My doctor also prescribed elavil (amp) as well for sleep once I got off the rem. I have not taken it an hope to swim through this. I just wished I knew how much longer. Take care
  • Posted

I hear what you are saying but sometimes you may be swimming through treacle.

Can I assume your Doc has prescribed 10mg or 25mg tablets? Are you in the US?

At least you have them if things get unbearable.

Have a nice weekend.

Stu.

• Posted

Hi stu; I'm in us and I think he precribed 25mg. I am not considering the amp as an option at this time. I had a phone conversation with him today and of coarse he says that five weeks at 4 mg should not cause any WD.

He also said that what I may be feeling is the benzo WD that the rem was masking. This all makes sence but these sym have been totally dif. He also said not to go back on it. Hope it's not to cold where you r!

Miami

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.