Mirtrazapine, dealing with the side effects?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey, my names Dave and I've recently been prescribed mirtrazapine 15mg as my doctor believes I am suffering from depression, more situational than inherent/long standing.

I've recently become deaf and am on a waiting list to correct my hearing which has left me anxious and incapable of sleep due to tinnitus.

Mirtrazapine has certainly solved the insomnia but I just can't function in the day. All I want to do is sleep, yesterday, I slept 16 hours and today is looking to be the same. Any of you guys feel the same or is this something I need to alert the GP about?

1 like, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

That drug made me incredibley tired, sleepy and out of it.  i just could not function on in. I think it is a strong drug used when there is some pschosis. there are so very many antipdepressant. many give you energy. wellbutrin is known to increase your energy, prozac is known to stabilize anxious thoughts, and on and on.  i would for sure go back and discuss side effecits with your doctor. i also suffer from tinnitus which is HORRIBLE> but i was taking small doses of xanax for anxiety and when i got off of it, the ear sounds went away. no hearing loss. good luck to you. it is not unusual to have to swith medications several times if not many to find one that suits you. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Dave,

Sorry to read your email about becoming deaf, the sleeping thing is not good. When I went on anti depressants I trialled 4 different ones to find the right one, it really is trial and error and I would immediately opt to try for a difference one till you find the right one for you. However I've now completely decided to stop taking my Efexor 150mg and it's been almost a week. Last night for the first time I did not wake up in a pool of sweat.

The withdrawal symptoms for me for being on this drug for 2 years straight are very bad, nausea, dizzy. Head aches temperatures. I am now trying my best just to get my ass to gym, still haven't got there yet but definitely keep trying. I have a full time job, kids married, I study and I sick of taking anti depressants, I feel constantly conditioned and over all flat.

Keep trying till you find the right one, when your life has improved get the hell off them.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Good advice Gergo, I'm very cautious when it comes to this kind of medication, as my condition is hopefully temporary, I'll will strive to use them and leave them in due time

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

david, my experience with effexor is to open the capsule and take out beads weekly. it can bring on protracted withdrawal syndrome which i indeed got and i ended up not being able to feel my hands or feet for 9 months, and my right arm curled up......  it works different from ssris, as it is an ssni.  very dangerous to just stop. please go slow no matter how bad you want to throw it away. when your body tells you you cannot take anymore, add back a little bit and let your body adjust before your next withdrawal. just sharing my experience. i do not know how you are working one week off, it is still in your sysyem, and you are still in withdrawals. wishing you the very best. i would never get on this particular drug again. but others have truly saved my life...
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up