mirtzapine plus antidepressant

Posted , 3 users are following.

are there some of you out there that take a low dose of mirtzapine plus an antidepressant?  if so, what are you taking?  did you suffer from anxiety going on the med.  i am desperately searching for help.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

Hi suzie, I was taking 15mg mirtazapine & 75mg of Effexor, I didn't experience any added anxiety, since coming off mirt I've found I've been less anxious, though that could be due to the increase of Effexor, when I stopped mirt my gp upped Effexor, I should add I've been taking Effexor for 13yrs, I'm

Very lucky with my withdrawal from mirt, only constant & severe itching & banging headaches, Ive seen a lot of people suffering dreadfully on this forum & my heart goes out to each & everyone of you, take care suzie x

• Posted

thanks brandy.  i did try 2 tablets of effexor and unfortunately got anxiety and stopped.  that mirtzapine is really sounding scary.  i will go down to 15 tonight.  i feel like imshould be in a hospital setting.  i have been struggling for some time trying to take an antidepressant
    • Posted

So sorry to hear you're struggling suzie, Effexor normally takes a couple weeks to kick in, though it can affect many in different ways, can you call your gp & explain your concerns? I'd hate to see you suffer when we know we need help, good luck my dear, please feel free to contact me even if you just want to chat x
    • Posted

thanks brandy. i appreciate it.  i think i have to wait to see psychiatrist but that will be tuesday next week.  i should have just stuck it out with the effexor.. but i wasn't expecting to get an anxiety jolt  thanks for listening
    • Posted

No problem, it's my pleasure, I'm certainly not an expert in any shape, I just wanted to share my feelings & experiences with others, if you find you really are struggling to wait on the psychiatrist please please see if you can an emergency appt, take care doll x

• Posted

thanks brandy. sadly i would have to go to the emergncy department and wait 7 hours to see someone, only to be told to go home and andsee someone a few days later. 
    • Posted

May I ask what country you're in suzie? You don't have to say x
    • Posted

i am in canada.  good country, but emergency kind of care is not the best.

• Posted

I'm not familiar with how your health systems work, Our gp surgeries in UK can refer you to a crisis team who can help you in the interim, I wondered if anything like that was available to you x
    • Posted

Hi Brandy. How great to have your own crisis team in UK. Is that a team for each of our problems?I would feel like a princess.I would have a TN team.one for depression etc. LOL  In Australia we have to do a bit of running around ourselves which is tiring but we get  help eventually. Best wishes
    • Posted

Hi Maggie, my gp referred me to them, the crisis team came out to me for a week or two for counselling, making sure kids were being looked after etc they then report back to GP so it's like you've 2 sets of people looking after you, I did have to fund my own counselling & psychiatrist once crisis team deemed I was 'safe' enough to be left alone, best wishes x
    • Posted

hi brandy,

no,we don't have that here.  i didsoeak with the psychiatrist yesterday andhe told me to reducethe medication which i did last night.  i am tryingto hang on for the week until i see him.  i feel like i am on so many drugs .. for sleep, for anxiety ... i may go to a rehab type clinic .. maybe.  you have to pay for it.

• Posted

Hi suzie, how are you feeling after last night? A week feels like a lifetime away when you're feeling like you do, I tried to do at least one thing a day that I'd been putting off - like cleaning my daughters bedroom which is no mean feat I can tell you lol, it was hard going but I felt like I'd accomplished something & it did ease the anxiety knowing I'd achieved something, I understand we're all different & this may not work for everyone. Discuss rehab with psychiatrist, stay strong suzie x
  • Posted

Hi Suzie! 

Finding the right cocktail is awful and can take a while. sad 

I was on Wellbutrin 450 mg and Sertraline 200 mg, both for depression, and 4x0.5 mg Clonazepam for Anxiety when we added Mirtazapine about 6 weeks ago. 

So yes, i was on two antidepressants and an antianxiety medication. Mirtazapine I believe works well as a mood stabilizer. For me it was the alternative to Lithium.

Now I have switched from Mirt to Trintellix and dialed down my Wellbutrin and Sertraline doses, but I can feel that I am less energetic and needs much more sleep than before. As in coming home from work and going right to bed. So I'll see if I can up the Wellbutrin back to 450 mg. It gives me energy. But others react with anxiety to it.

Good luck for finding your magic potion!

• Posted

Hi mermaid, it's all such trial & error while we continue to suffer & feel the way we do, here's hoping your cocktail will work for you, best wishes x
    • Posted

thanks mermaid.  i am really struggling trying to find something that works without giving me anxiety.  i quit my job when i tried cipralax due to the anxiety.  i understand you are in toronto.  is it just your gp prescribing?
    • Posted

yes, i am on 22.5.  had tried 30 as instructed but i experienced anxiety and insomnia .  i spoke to the psychiatrist today and he said to reduce back to 15 which i will. i am just trying to hold on until i see him on tuesday, but i will need another antianxiety, antidepressant.  i have bee taking clonazpam to get through the anxiety, but definitely the anxiety increase with the mirtz increase.  i also have to take something for sleep.  i am a mess!    r u in canada?
    • Posted

im in the UK, have you been given something to help you sleep, or do you have to wait til next week to get sorted for that too, if so you could maybe try a herbal sleeping remedy? I do wish you well doll xx
    • Posted

i have been given something. in addition i do have 'sleepy time' tea and all that kind of stuff.  i was on sleeping pills but they stopped working.  this other stuff my gp gave me seems to work, but not as well as the sleeping pills once working  thank you for listening.  it must be late there formyou
    • Posted

It's no problem to listen & if it helps I certainly don't mind, it's just after 11pm here, I guess you've tried the lavender oil on your pillow etc? If you haven't taken sleepers in a while you could try one & see if it helps as long as it doesn't affect your other meds, check in with me tomorrow to let me know how you're doing, night night x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.