Misdiagnosed twice

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been having a lot of strange vision issues the past 7 months. Of course I've been to an optometrist and opthamologist also two neurologists and they've done dilated eye exams an OCT a fluorescent blood vessel X-ray an MRI of brain neck spine with contrast a lumbar puncture and a 4 day EEG and all they can find is anemia from iron deficiency. This is weird though because I'm not bleeding from anywhere they've done stool samples and urine samples. But after all these test of course now it's blamed on anxiety, and I don't think this is the right diagnoses. When there are a lot of things ruled out and doctors get confused it's universal that they blame it on something quick to get you out of their hair. With opthamologist and neurologist the blame is either anxiety or migraine. They just jump to that. That's why I'm seeing a neuro opthamologist this month. I refuse to be BS'D with the whole anxiety or migraine thing. When my neuro blamed it on anxiety or migraine I told him to prove it, and when he couldn't I told him I want a 2ND opinion. I got one and the dct came in and told me he agrees with the first doctor lol so I have an appointment in Utah at the university of Utah to be evaluated by a neuro opthamologist. I live in Maine and medical care here is absolutely horrible and actually quite scary.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi tyler04178, I just want to let you know that some people have anaemia even though their nutritional intake provides sufficient iron. Some people have problems absorbing and storing iron efficiently. I can't include links in this reply but you can search on the internet for iron-refractory iron deficiency anaemia. 

Has your B12 level been checked? A lack of B12 can lead to pernicious anaemia. 

You can find more info under:

https://patient.info/doctor/pernicious-anaemia-and-b12-deficiency

Here is an excerpt from that article.

Symptoms of anaemia may include fatigue and lethargy, dyspnoea, faintness, palpitations and headache. Vitamin B12 deficiency may present with unexplained neurological symptoms - eg, paraesthesia, numbness, cognitive changes or visual disturbance.

• Posted

thank you very much Dan. I don't think my B12 or folic acid has been checked. I will recommend that my doctor does that and also do some more research. I really appreciate the advice and it makes sense since I'm having all these weird neurological issues especially the visual disturbances

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.