Missed period- not pregnant

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on citalopram for about a year and a half I would say, I recently went from 10mg to 20mg. I also changed to the copper IUD last year around June but my periods have been basically regular. My period was delayed/late in November and I did not come on until 6/12. I have not had a period since. I am not pregnant so I am racking my brain as to what is the issue, could it be the cito?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I can't help with your comment I'm just wondering how long it took for you to feel better on citalapram it's my 7th week and don't feel better yet ?

Thanks

• Posted

Hey don, Hmm, were you given diazapam for the first 2 weeks? and is your dosage 10 or 20? I had 10mg and diazapam at first and it was for anxiety. I felt better pretty much straight away but I think I owe that to the diazapam helping me adjust. 
  • Posted

Hi Rebecca

Forgive me for asking, but how old are you?  Age can have a great effect on our periods of course (the change) but am assuming you're not at that stage yet.

Some IUD's do stop periods completely, so maybe check this out with your doctor.  I've not heard that Citalopram stops periods, but we are all different so again maybe have a chat with your doctor to rule this out.

I started the change at 40 ...... periods became erratic, stopped, started ..... (also wondered about pregnancy but knew I couldn't be) and carried on like that for many years.  It wasn't a bother really, just didn't know where I was at though.

K xx

• Posted

Hey Kate,

I am 22 as it goes so nowhere near the change! My copper IUD isn't supposed to and it hasn't been a problem until now. I have not heard that Citalopram stops periods just that it can affect them. It's just a worry as I have never not had a period and missing periods without being pregnant is very frustrating and it makes me feel as if something might be wrong with me or the cito.

x

• Posted

Ah, no def not near the change then lol.  Was a thought. 😄  So def not the IUD either then.

Theres many things that can cause them to stop - stress, diet, exercise sometimes.  Not heard of Citalopram doing that, but that's not to say it isn't that.  I'd go check it out with your doctor as am sure it's nothing to worry about, but to also have a chat about the Citalopram.

Hope you get it resolved soon.

K xx

• Posted

I have always been stressy and no periods have been affected! ha. All I can do I guess is ask a doctor but I just wish the solution was easier than all this.

Thanks kate xx

• Posted

It might well be a simple solution ...... 😉  Yes reckon see your doctor.  Of course though, someone else might post that's what's happened to them too.

Let us know xx

• Posted

I'm on my 1st month taking citrol, I started on 10mg and my period was 2 days early then last month it was 2 days late and now it's 4 days late and I'm on 20mg. Does citrol affect periods?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.