Mitazipine help!!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I have been on mirtazipine for around two years I felt great so tried to taper off but the side affects are horrendous so back on 15mg and feel so poorly and more re depressed than ever has anybody else had the same or similar feelings and could they give me advice at what the dr could give me to help I'm at a loss thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

What kind of time frame are we talking, here, linzi?  How did you taper?  What dosage did you taper from, what dose did you jump from, and what dose did you reinstate? Answers make a difference to what comes next, can help to explain what is going on.
    • Posted

Hi I was on 30mg when I first took them after 3-4 month I went down to 15 things were great after a year I went down to 7.5 for only a few weeks before I started to feel unwell the doctor told me to stop there and then but after 4 days of not being able to function eat sleep felt like I was going to pass out I went back on 15 this has been my dosage fr around 4 weeks now and still to this day in feel foggy dizzy tired anxious and depressed more than ever I look at people and think I wish I was normal like them sounds daft but I can't shake it off
    • Posted

I'm sorry you are going through this, linzi.  We can get away with the big cuts from higher doses, but a 50% cut was just too much for your system to handle, too destabilizing.  You did the right thing to reinstate 15 mg, as that is what you body was used to and should have brought you back, but you are one of the unfortunate ones, for whom reinstating doesn't necessarily work completely right away.  

I would not want to risk going higher because you spent a year at that dose so that is where you need to be for things to settle out.  The last thing you want to do now is change things up or add other things, other psych meds that will cause further destabilization, though this is a common response by doctors.  It is a normal reaction to want to throw everything but the kitchen sink at the problem to try to fix it NOW, but those steps can prolong things, complicate the situation.

The main thing is to be gentle with yourself, minimize stress, don't expect a lot of yourself right now, and try not to engage in rumination over your situation, as that will keep you entrenched where you are.  It is when people Accept that it is what it is and it will take time to heal that they actually begin to feel better.  "Peacefully accept things as they are."

This all does not mean that you "need" the drug in the sense that you are a sick person who must be on drugs; it means your drop set off destabilization and your nervous system is trying to recover from that. 

It isn't just one system affected, serotonin.  All the other neurotransmitter systems -  histamine, dopamine, norepinephrine, GABA - interplay with each other.  Tweek serotonin and you set off disturbances in all the others.  This is why it can take time for stabilization to return.

So, please be patient with yourself :-)  Have you tried taking omega 3 fatty acids and magnesium?  Those are two supplements that are recommended as being helpful in withdrawal and while tapering.  Be sure it is an easily absorbed version of mag, such as one of the chelated forms (glycinate is the one I use).

In the future, when you have been stable and are ready to taper again, follow the 10% protocol discussed in this thread:  https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

• Posted

Sorry you are another one going through this and am sure Betsy will help you on this when she can.  I am new to this, been on the wretched drug for about six months, first 7.5mg and then 15mg and then 30mg and they wanted to put me on 45mg no way I said as I know in my heart it is masking something else that is wrong with me.  I cut down from 30mg to 15mg about 10 days ago as the 30mg was making me feel odd and I had felt better on the 15mg but the psych gave some reason of course.  I did shed a few tears after a couple of days about nothing really but am in a bit of a low state as my dad died on 1st January.  I dont feel well at all now and also on large doses of vitamin D so I dont know which is making me feel rotten the cutting in half of the mirtazapine or the Vit D.  Anyway, I am sticking the half dose of mirt out.  At the time I purposely didnt read any of the side effects but having had so much bone pain I thought I would have a look through tonight.  Not that his causes bone pain I am sure, but I was horrified to see that it can cause bone marrow depression.  I have advanced osteoporosis in my spine and femur so I really dont want bone marrow problems as well.

Good luck,

Elaine

• Posted

Hi hun im sorry your feeling poorly maybe too much too soon?

Im going to drs to change as ive been awful whilst on matazapine!! I was fine on citalopram but they took me off it coz of clash with other medication

Ive been on matazapine 6months now and even my husband said ive been worse since taking them plus ive put on weight sooo much ppersonally icant wait to get off them

If you come off it slowly you wouldnt thinkyou would be feeling so bad?? Ihope you feelbetter soon hun x

• Posted

Hi Linzi

Just wanted to reinforce Betsys excellent advice, to wait for stabilisation at the 15mg of Mirt' and in the meantime take your time to make a little plan on paper maybe of a 10% taper every 4 weeks (as per the link advice) or even 5% every 2 weeks which is even more gentle on your nervous system.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Linzi

I,m going through the same situation as you but a little more advanced in the taper. To cut a long story short I was doing ok with a  taper but a few days after doing what I thought was a reasonable drop  I had bad problems. Anyway I had excellent advice from dearest Calmer and Betsy who pointed out the too big a drop I had taken and advised going back to the level I was OK on. I have done that and feel much better. I will now try and stabilise and follow their excellent advice and their recommended slow taper routine.  Unlike my doc these two stars  really understand what we are up against and have a sound plan as to how to cope. We're all here to help you.

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear your in the same situation hope you get sorted soon and many thanks for the advice from you all I am sticking at 15 for now and then 10% when I'm feeling up to it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.