Mitrazpine After 6-7 months of use

Posted , 3 users are following.

Guys my doc and therapist have set a date on which I can start to taper down my Remeron dosage from 15mg to NIL. Reason is that Ive been doing consistently well in therapy and in life and am in a good place. 

However after reasing all this about mirtazapine having horroible withdrawals im getting quite scared. Looking for some positive re-enforcement. Mirtazapine was prescribed to me as a AD as I had my first Major Depressive episode last October

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Many people do not have any significant withdrawal effects from this drug. Remember the people posting on here tend to be the ones having problems. Having said that, it is true that mirtazapine can have very severe and long lasting withdrawal effects, and it is therefore vital that you taper down very slowly. Ask your GP if you can have the liquid form which will enable a much more accurate and slow taper down. I have been on this drug for 3 years and did try to come off it onto trazadone after 6 months. I had terrible withdrawals as the doc told me just to switch over. I gave in and went back on it after 10 days. Good luck and be careful.
    • Posted

Thank evergreen, yes I do plan on taking it slow and following all medical advice. My doctor said its not hard as long as I follow the taper schedule and not be too ambitious. Im a patient guy and ive been feeling generally great these last few months and I think im ready to be drug free. Sleep is the only issue. I was given mirtazapine initially because I couldnt sleep. Hope that I can find a way to naturally sleep without it.
    • Posted

Hi, can I ask what your Dr suggested to be the best taper plan, wishing you the best
    • Posted

what i did was drop the dose from 30mg to 22.5mg for a couple weeks and see how i felt. I used to take it just before bed but found after a few days of the dose drop i needed to take it a little ealier in the evening to counteract withdrawal. I then dropped to 15mg with the same regime... i was then told to try 15/7.5 alternate nights, this didnt work to well for me and i ended up dropping to 7.5. The first two weeks i did quite well, but when i got to week three, this is when my real problems began...My only suggestion and alot based on what i have read it may be more sensible to stay on a dose after the drop for longer or until you feel comfortable to go lower, hope that helps a little
    • Posted

Thank you so much! Every little bit helps. I'm on 15mg. So hopefully I will face less withdrawal as compared to 30. Also I agree with having it earlier.

One thing I have noticed before when I used to miss a day it wouldn't affect me. Now if I miss a dose I get anxious for about 24 hours. But no point over thinking that. In the survey on the main page only 20 percent of remeron takers had withdrawal so I will use that as hope. Also any tips and comments from this forum would be great. Also as far as weight gain goes I've managed to keep a strict routine and maintain 14 percent body fat so even if the worst case happens and I have to come back on to the drug. Meh. Life goes on.

One question. Did u manage to finally be drug free

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.