MOA after TKA

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am now 8 weeks post op TKA progress has been minimal the past 2 weeks even though I am in physical therapy 3x/week and doing all my home exercises.  Swelling is moderate, sleep elusive, pain extreme on extension after flexion (110 and -1).  Seems like I am regressing rather than getting better!  Now I am scheduled for a MOA of my new knee next week because of the massive scar tissue. What can I expect after this procedure?  Am I back to square one regarding pain and mobility?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Too bad you don't have time to immediately stop PT and find out what resting your knee would do for your ability to progress.  Just my opinion but I think PT alot of times adds uneeded stress to the knee and regresses rather than progresses your ROM.  I say this because I did 10 PT visits, learned what I needed to do and quit them.  I progressed the next 3 weeks from 112 to 130 on my own.  I did alittle more every day around the house.  I backed off when that familiar tight band came around the knee - my signal to put the leg up and rest.  I could bend the most first thing in the morning after resting it all night.  PT tells you to push it, but my own wisdom was to not push but do what the knee was ready to do and nothing more.  When I saw the Surgeon at my 3 month check up he said the national average at 3 months is 110 to 115.  I DO NOT ADVISE HAVING MUA.  3 X a week PT is too much.

• Posted

Lynn,

I'm having an MUA done next. Just curious...why do you advise against it?

• Posted

I advised her specifically against it because of what her ROM is now, which does not indicate the need.  However, there are times it is needed, yet it is rough on the joint whenever you have to reinjure it.
    • Posted

Got it, I was waiting for a horror story. Glad that's not the case.

• Posted

Hi Susan

I have to agree with Lynn im 8 weeks post op now and have been doing great until a few days ago when i pushed my exercise a little to far and the front of my knee has been very sore this tkr business is a very slow process listen to your body it will tell you when to stop .

• Posted

Hi Susan, what's TKA and MOA?  I don't necessarily believe that 3 X a week PT is too much, rather it depends on what they're doing with you.  

• Posted

Has anyone been doing deep massage on stiff area to break up and loosen fluid and scar tissue?  Icing leg several X per day?
    • Posted

I had many setbacks and doubts.  For e, coming home and doing normal movements and home Health care helped.  I have good range of motion, but it's still resisting lying flat.  But I have faith in my body's ability to heal itself.

• Posted

Hi Susan, your only 8 weeks, what is this massive scar tissue you mentioned, I don't think you are far enough post op to have "massive" scar tissue. There are different opinions on this MUA, I thought it was for much more extreme conditions than you have. I had both knees done about two years ago, 3 months apart. More recently I am 12 weeks RTHR. They do a manipulation of the knee at the end of the surgery. Muscles in my left leg were very tight and my knee cap was fractured during the process. So I woke up after surgery with a screw sideways through my knee cap. That's what MUA did for me! The main problem was I couldn't do PT as far as working on my ROM for 6 weeks. My point here is that I didn't start much PT for 6 weeks and my ROM still got to 120 with lots of work. Some might say 120 not enough but it is for me, 125-130 is about all you're gonna get with a knee replacement anyway. I agree with a few other opinions expressed here that maybe your PT is way to eager to do this MUA. Try to get a second opinion. This knee replacement thing is a long process but worth it in the end. I was really back to 100% by about a year. Good luck.

• Posted

Not all people lay down scar tissue. I began pt 2 days post op. I too laid down significant scar tissue very quickly even though I was faithful with pt and home exercises. I got stuck at 90 degrees. Been there for 3-4 weeks. I'm having mua this Wednesday to hopefully improve my flexion some. No. guarantees. My surgeon is taking a very conservative, gentle approach as he advised me if the risk you indicated. I know I'll regret it if I don't try. 😏

• Posted

Good luck Lisa, I hope it works for you, keep us posted 😉

• Posted

Hi Y'all....just reporting in! Had my MUA two days ago and all went well.  First post-op. day was terrible with pain in my ankle because that was where they were holding my leg to twist the knee!  My flexion is already at 120 degrees and it feels so much looser.  Yes, I am actively doing all my flexion exercises, peddling my stationary cycle, icing and elevating.  Unfortunately, I only have 4 more physical therapy appointmenst due to the Medicare allotement allowed but I think I know enough of the program to continue on my own. Very glad that I had the MUA done!  Now the big issue is my balance...which is terrible and I want to get back on my bicycle!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.