Modic Type II treatment

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there

I've just been prescribed augmentin to help with modic type II condition.

I'd be interested in connecting with anyone who is, or has, undergone the antibiotic treatment, with advice on how best to prepare myself for the 8 week course I'm about to start.

Look forward to hearing from anyone,

Jo

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jo,

I am afraid I can,t help you prepare for taking your antibiotic treatment but I would like to know how you got it prescribed for modic type 2 changes. I have been in pain every day for seven years and have modic 2 changes but was told that the treatment only worked on type 1 changes.

• Posted

Sure Jackie.

I had my second MRI last October which showed, after a 10 year period, that there was detoriation in my condition. The NHS told me there was nothing they could do, I fought them, and got a referral for pain relief injections which I had 2 weeks ago.

Ahead of the injections, I went for a private consultation with an osteopath and asked her to explain what the MRI results actually meant. She explained what Modic is, referred me to this site and recommended I find out as much as I can about MAST and to go see my GP, fully armed so to speak.

Ahead of my appointment, I sent my GP (under Leicestershire and Rutland PCT) a covering letter explaining what I was coming to talk to him about and enclosed information which is widley available on the internet. I had that appointment today and he (as has been my experience) listened, talked through the pitfalls, and prescribed the course of antibiotics. I've decided to start them on Monday.

I think you just have to battle with each hurdle. If you've had the MRI which shows you have Modic Type II, then there are two options. 1) they (NHS) leave you alone, it continues to get worse, ending in further cost to the NHS or 2) they try this treatment.

I will update this site when I'm further down the line. YOu've just got to get pro-active and fight your corner. I'm a 42 year old professional, with a normal education behind me, who has no alternatives open to her. It would have been cruel for my GP to have turned round and said no to me, in my opinion.

Hope that helps & I wish you luck!

Jo

• Posted

Hi Jo,

Thank you for your reply to my question. It is interesting that your GP prescribed the treatment because mine told me she wasn't,t allowed to. I hope you get on alright and more importantly that it works. I was told about it by a spinal surgeon and since I assumed I was going to try it I asked a pharmacist about the possible side effects. If it helps he said were one to get any side effects they would be transient.

• Posted

I'd probably clarify what she meant by wasn't allowed to. Are you in the UK? Each PCT will operate differently and have budget constraints. I sent all the info to my GP ahead of my appointment with him so he had time (if required) to consult with the practice manager. I'd give it another go. Take some evidence with you off the internet. Site other Modic II individuals who have used it and had benefit and push your GP on what other options are open to you if this one is a dead end. They can't just fill you with pain killers and leave you to it. That isn't 'care'. Long term, it ends up costing the NHS more!

Best of luck,

Jo

• Posted

Hi Jo,

I was wondering if you could let me know how you are getting on with the antibiotic treatment regards side effects because having told you my GP said you could not prescribe the treatment I now have problems in the thoracic region of my back and the consultant I saw for that said he would prescribe the antibiotics for the modic changes in the lumbar region. Thanks.

Jackie

• Posted

Hi Jo

I have Modic Type 1 and damaged disc in L5 so I started the MAST treatment today.

Even after the first tablet (they are not small ones either)  I had really bad nausea but hoping it will settle tomorrow. 

How has your treatment and side effects gone so far? Any tips? I have some prebiotic to take each day and trying to cut out sugar to reduce risk of side effects

I'm feeling really hopeful as in all honesty I can't cope with this pain every day for much longer. I've had chronic severe pain for 2 years now even after physio, Chiro weekly sports massage, daily Pilates,acupuncture etc - my back is costing me a fortune but just trying to get some relief . Fingers crossed this works! 

kindest regards

Francine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.