Mom

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm beginning to think the thought of "I'm so fed up with my mom" but I don't want to. Recently i shifted program (3rd time) and I didn't tell her the truth why except my dad. You see, the difference between those two is that dad listens first and make suggestions, tell his experience and find a solution. Maybe he's trying to imagine his position to mine while Mom.. she's so difficult. She always see the wrong and not even appreciates on what we do. I told her not to tell to other family members (I haven't told her that it's because I'm not ready yet for them to know and i don't want to think and say again I'm wasting time and money) but when she did tell that to my uncle, I was surprised and other night I asked her about. She said i shouldn't make a big deal out of it. She got mad when I told her why I didn't like it and it made me anxious.. not she starts telling me about it's because she's my mother and the way of thinking of my generation is so different from hers (she always tells me that.) and said she doesn't know me anymore... Mom is the kind of person when you tell her a story, you don't know if she's listening or not because her eyes is on TV or phone. Not like dad that the attention is on you and really listening... I hope i don't sound like I'm ranting but it's always been like this.. I'm 23 by the way and still college student. Dad works in another country visits here occasionally and mom is here.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

your mom sounds like someone who analyses all possibilities and airs them before rationalising the situation.  So she thinks out loud and your father listens before answering. It is hard to get people to change their habits. Try and discuss things with your mom to encourage a mutual conversation.

good luck with that.

• Posted

it sounds like your mom does not focus too much on you and your issues especially with diversions like t.v.

maybe you should pick your moments when you have issues to discuss without other distractions.

• Posted

Hi notyouridealcat - Mom sounds a bit depressed. Avoiding eye contact or escaping the moment by focusing on something else (tv etc) can indicate depression. The fact she constantly finds fault in others and what they are doing can be another. She does have a point that the thinking in generations is different, of course they are, society and human/animal rights wouldn't evolve if we all thought the same. Have you talked about this with your Dad?

• Posted

I honestly can relate to you so damn, my mom is extremely similar to yours she keeps comparing her generation to ours and saying how better their generation was , like what we do doesn’t matter or like what we try to do (even if we worked so hard for it) it’s all just sh** compared to the kids in her generation, tbh I’m so done with it but my only advice for you is that you’re getting older by the minute, you could focus on your studies, get good grades or not, finish college, get a job, move out, hopefully this issue would be resolved, if it did pls reply to me on how cause I sorta wanna also use that “remedy” to my mom. Hope u all the best dude 
    • Posted

Hi kathrynne - next time your mum is browsing online, ordering sh*t, researching her favourite has-been, receiving up-to-the-minute global news, or punching in the GPS co-ordinates for the nearest dementia clinic, ask her which generation enabled that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.