Mom suffers panic attacks every half hour

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone. My mother has been suffering panic attacks for the last week and a half - two days ago, she went to visit her primary care but won't be able to see a specialized doctor until a month later.

Unfortunately, her condition has been getting worse. She has slept an average of 3 hours for the last week as she often cannot rest well; usually she wakes up drenched in her own sweat and her heart racing. She's been choking very easily on simple foods, and she says that her throat feels like it's closing in occasionally. She says that falling asleep won't give her comfort because she feels like she's dying. 

She's been taking chamomile tea to calm her nerves and has been spending some extra time outside or near open windows to alleviate things and attempt deep breathing exercises, but these have only been minially helpful. 

Would anyone be able to help me, at all? I've been trying to extensively research the best doctors in the New York area, and I'd appreciate any recommendations for doctors. What are the typical medications doctors prescribe for cases such as my mom's? Until we are able to see a doctor for her, is there anything we can do to help her condition? 

Thanks so much, I sincerely appreciate any help. 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

As context to the above, a few months go, in late winter, my mother developed pnuemonia, which took a few weeks for her to recover from - she was put on a nebulizer for her breathing difficulties and other medications to help with the fever and pneumonia. She fainted from difficulties breathing and we had to take her to an ER. I'm not sure how relevant this information is to her current condition, she had only developed these panic attacks just two weeks ago. 

• Posted

A few days before her panic attacks started, my mom had been complaining of pain in her arms and muscles? I'm anxiously waiting for a full doctor's evaluation. 

• Posted

Sara...this could be high anxiety (very debilitating)...but if she is choking on food and afraid to go to sleep....she needs to go to the ER.

I'm surprised the Primary Care did not give her a sedative to calm her nerves (anxiety medication). 

The ER will give her a full evaluation and possibly giver her a sedative...or at the very least she will be able to sleep there and feel safe while they evaluate what the heck is going on with her.

• Posted

Thank you so much - I shall try to take her to the ER right away, because she's always handled even the most stressful situations in life, and I've never seen her like this. This morning her condition has come to a point where she doesn't seem to be able to handle it anymore. 

• Posted

I think the er is a great idea! An urgi center would be okay but not as good as a hospital in her state of mind.. she needs to full exam and they would be able to medicate her as needed on the spot. Good luck. Please let us all know the outcome. 
  • Posted

I agree with the ER. It's a place to start.  A month is too long to wait to get her some relief. After examining her, they should be able to refer you to the appropriate doctor. I admire your committment to your mom. She is very forunate to have such a daughter.

• Posted

let us know how YOU are...and if you took her to ER...and how SHE is doing...I'm worried for you and I don't know you or her...but cia..is SO CORRECT....she is lucky to have you and you are lucky to share the love you have for EACH OTHER.

• Posted

She is having anxiety with panic attacks. So familiar. When I would have a panic attack, I would not come out of it, It would put me in a tail spin, and it was soo awful. I don't really see why she needs a specialized doctor. Her family doctor should be more than capable of putting her on meds. There are so many. I have been on meds for years, and will be for the rest of my life. There is Zoloft, Lexapro, Celexa, Cymbalta. I am on Cymbalta now,and have been for 8 yrs. I have been on everyone  at one time or another. There are so many others After  a long time of being on a med,sometimes you need a change cause it doesn't seen to be working as good, so you go to another. I'm surprized that with your mom feeling like she does, that her doc  would not treat her right away. (strange) That would not make me happy. My family GP is awesome. Up to date on all of this. I would call back and say that you would like your family doc to treat her, that you don't understand why  they said specialized. My goodness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.