Mood swings - how often?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I suffer with chronic mood swings / indecision. I make a decision to do something, then a negative mood overcomes me & I start to question myself. Buying something can be a nightmare, "yes, i'll get it," 10mins later, "no, I don't really need it, it's an extravagance" 5mins after that "I can afford it, so why not?" 10mins later "yes, but do I need it, or just want it?". I think you get the picture! It drives me crazy at times. I have been taking Citilopram 40mg for about 5yrs & am also on Propanalol for the last 2yrs or so. The indecision causes me so much mental turmoil at times, but living on a fixed income, I am afraid of it getting out of hand. I haven't been in debt for anything [except small mortgage] for 15+yrs, so don't know why I am so afraid. I only have one hobby, don't get out much, have few friends & live on my own. I don't smoke & rarely drink. Why can't I be more decisive? Is this part of depression? Any advice would be helpfull. Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

HI Lee, yes..it certainly can be a large part of depression...

It is sensible not to overspend, but if you put a little money up to save every week and then treated yourself....without a guilty conscience once a month...you could feel a little less worried...

Have you no friends, or a hobby that you love ?... also. More importantly...have you consulted your doctor about your depression..I am certain that you could get some help....

We have an excellent community cafe where I live...you can get help on many, many things...from ..mental health problems to disabled children also old age...holiday insurance...legal aid....support...and very many other things...you may have one in your area...I do so wish you well Lee. Plus have a word with your gp...and I truly hope that you find a good friend...take care...big hugs to YOU...Deirdre...xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

deirdre, thank you so much for replying to my message. Yes, I have seen my gp & he put me on Citilopram & later on I went on Propanalol also. I find it difficult to keep friends as I am so unreliable, I make arrangements, then break them. People give up on me. I have taken up photography as a hobby & love it, but find myself buying stuff just because i can, I never go into credit for anything, I pay my CC bill as soon as it comes in. I just feel so down most of the time. Talking on this kind of medium helps though. Thank you for the hug & xxx's.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Good morning Lee, please keep on posting on here, you can get help and advice from so many people.....

Depression is a horrible, horrible illness....I have been on 200mg sertraline and 300mg of pregabalin for many years to treat my depression. ( I was a very, very !! Bad alcoholic. )

I still have many periods of severe depression, we have three lovely adult sons who will always live with us as they have many varied health problems...mental and physical....it breaks my heart to see them so isolated and lonely, so I can so, so, so sympathize with your situation.....have a look online and see if there are any groups in your area that offers support to others in your situation...I wish I had a majic wand you man..xxx please keep posting on here, never ever give up....big hugs to you Lee..Deirdre xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Deirdre. Thank you for your time to reply. I have nothing to complain about whrn compaired to your sad situation. Having to battle this hidious illness & cope with & care for your sons, you have my deepest respect.

I am on my own because my wife left nearly 12yrs ago. No bashing here, I deserved what I got. Fortunately we are good friends now & see each other often. We have no children & no family, except for Sues 84yr old mum, with whom I get on with very well. My big problem is motivation & the constant up-down, up-down.

Sorry to moan. I hope you are having a good day yourself, deirdre.

Returning the HUGGS. xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Another bad, indecisive day. Craved for sweet stuff although not a diabetic. Slept most of the day, seemed the only way to block things out. I hate the way things are.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

HI Lee, take care, I will post you later young man....keep your chin up xx big hugs and best wishes to you

..Deirdre xxx I so wish I had a magic wand...xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Well, I feel better already thanks to the "young man" refference. biggrin. Was supposed to go into Liverpool [my nearest city] for some stuff for my camera, but had to pull out, I was just too tired. I had someone go in for me. I know I should make a better effort, but I do, then it falls to pieces at the last second. I think it's the long period of almost constant pain that causes me to lose hope that I will ever be normal. I sleep 16hrs a day & still feel exhausted. My weight doesn't help, but it's a viscious circle. I am supposed to be going out for tea tonight. I hope i can make it. Thank you so much for your concern deirdre.xx
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Lee

Mood swings can be part of anxiety and depression. Commonly people become afraid of doing things because they are scared of the repercussions. Taking Citalopram and Propranalol together isn't always a good mix for some people but you have been taking both drugs for some time. I would however suggest that you speak to your GP and see what he suggests. It my be possible to wean you off the Citalopram slowly as this is an addictive drug and replace it with something else.  Please talk to your GP as soon as possible.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up