More questions about coming off citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I have read a fair few of the comments about coming off citalopram, with headaches, irratibility etc, and the varying doses that each person is coming off - my question is, AFTER the side effects of the above as well as the waking up in the morning and just not feeling yourself in a sense, feeling not quite right, not depressed, in fact quite hard to explain, kind of heavy I suppose and not 'right.' Well my question is, does this wear off for sure??

So there's the depression which is what gets someone taking anti-depressents, then no longer depressed, then the side effects of coming off, so do they wear off completely, and then back to normal? So that you feel as well as you did when you were on the drug? Hope this makes sense to someone. I actually am on a very low dose, only 5 mg a day (I cut pill into 4), so I've not had the dizziness that some people have experienced but certainly not feeling 'normal' or 'well' in the mornings, and not just the mornings really, it's kinda hard to explain. Can anyone relate? Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joanne

I know the feeling you describe ... it's a kind of flatness that isn't depression, but just 'meh' .......

When I came off Citalopram I took a natural SSRI called 5-HTP which needs to be taken with l-tyrosine.  Both can be bought from Holland & Barrett (if you're in the UK) and you need to take them both.  Read a book called 5-HTP The Natural Way to Overcome Depression, Obesity by Michael T Murray ........ it's a really interesting read.

You need to be off SSRI's completely before starting 5-HTP as they mustn't be taken together.

I didn't like feeling 'meh' and taking 5-HTP did a similar trick as did Citalopram.  I am back on Cit though due to severe stress of a family illness and wanted to be sure I didn't slip back again, as I needed to stay well for my family member.

Ive started reducing Cit again and am now on 10mg, and will reduce it more in time in order to stop completely and go back on 5-HTP.

I don't know how long feeling not right lasts, but I didn't like it.

• Posted

I would say if you are having problems coming off this medication to see a doctor to discuss this.
    • Posted

Yes, although doctors can be quite blaze' at times, and do not know exactly what the patient is experiencing, so it has been quite helpful reading these blogs - the power of drugs aye!
  • Posted

Hiya Joanne.....I am feeling exactly like that right now so can identify completely..have gone from 20 to 10. .. when I told the dr I wanted to come off them she said that 28 days of 10's could be enough to wean off them....but she didn't tell me anything about feeling this way.so do you feel a bit on edge sometimes too??a bit like pmt?? And did any of you guys feel a bit emotionless on them?? I know they're supposed to help you cope...as I come off them I have experienced a few swells of emotion?? almost like the hormonal rushes when pregnant....??
    • Posted

Hi there. I have never been pregnant so can't relate there sorry!  But certainly the irritability was there.  Personally for now, I have decided to stick with taking it, I take approx just 5mg at night before bed, it seems to be enough for me to help me have the right amount of serotonin etc etc.  I do not want to stay on this medication forever, I will choose a time at some stage where I can commit to three weeks of side effects, and endure it! But it seems wisdom, and as a lot of people have already shared that the way to do it is gradually, that makes sense and I suppose the body can handle that a lot better.  All the best with your situation. Just to add, it wasn't till I read some posts on these discussions that I realized just how strong drugs are, I was a bit flippant before about missing days etc, but it isn't lollies we are taking, they are powerful drugs and need to be handled with care smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.