Morning !!!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Does anyone know why the mornings, are so awful for anxiety sufferers particularly as, we go on cit ?

I wake up nauseaus and tingling and feeling hungover. This has been after 15 weeks although I messed with dose by going from 30 to 40 to 30 so that maybe why I am struggling this far in.

I find it odd that I feel anxious even before I open my eyes or think. It seems to happen regardless of what time of the day you take it.

I find knowing the reason for things helps me.

So anyone know ?

Also should I be worried that I still feel crap 15 weeks in ?

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How do you find sleeping at night?
    • Posted

I also take mirtazapine which is a sedating AD. I get to sleep fine but wake up through out the night. Wake up sweaty. Feel tired a lot regardless of how much sleep I get
    • Posted

Yeah, i feel the same way i did two weeks ago but technically if you dont count the 10mg im only on week 4 so it makes sense. I would say once your current dose settles, youll do great! During the night and into the morning is the worst right now. Cant sleep from feeling sick and it leaves you thinking about everything and everyone. drives me crazy. Mind races as soon as my eyes.open.
  • Posted

Go back to the doctor. Should be some stability in yourself by now.
  • Posted

Sarah

I'm week 17 on CIT , First week was shocking with the side effects, Things settled down after 5weeks but the morning anxiety & depression never left me , After 12 weeks I couldn't take it anymore so went back to the doctors ,He suggested upping the dose from 20mg to 30, I asked for a reduction to 10mg, After 24hrs the mornings were fine & I've had a solid month anxiety free, Never felt better, Wish I had started on 10mg from the begining now. Good luck with meds

• Posted

Early morning anxiety?  Its very common and does eventually stop.

Muscle memory.  I read somewhere that its all to do with relaxation, which is why practicing releasing tension / letting go of tension in the stomach where you feel knotty during the day, really helps.

So ... during the day you're anxious and no doubt tense, and when you go to bed and sleep, your body becomes deeply relaxed and your mind rests and stops continuously thinking of your illness.  When you're relaxed, all the tension leaves your body which isn't good for anxiety, and upon waking your body automatically 'remembers' how you were the day before and so immediately fires up again.  Its muscle memory.

With the help of the medication, relaxation throughout the day (meaning letting, taking a more relaxed pace as go about your daily life) will help you to return your body to its normal state.

• Posted

HI Kate

I know you know a lot about this.

I ve been on cit for 15 weeks. 13 weeks at 30 or 40. I was at 40 for a month and dropped back nearly 3 weeks ago. Will this have slowed my progress. Sometimes I think I m am improving but not sure. Terrible head fog and nausea sometimes.

I don t want to switch meds if I have just not given this time.

• Posted

Hi Kate

I have been reading a lot of your comments and I now feel hope,I am suffering from anxiety right now,first time I had it was 10years ago,I recovered and remained on Paroxetine 20mg.After some stress with my ill mother my anxiety came back at the beginning of October,my gp upped my paroxetine to 30mg that was 2 and a half weeks ago,I havent been able to eat in 3weeks(small spoonfuls) and generally have to force myself out of bed.I have been making sure I get out for a walk once a day.Although I know I will get better its hard to believe it when u are going through it,reading your posts and comments have given me the determination to carry on. Thank you for that >

• Posted

It takes time for many of us to find the correct medication and / or dose that suits each of us - so no, it doesn't really slow progress - you've got the medication in your system already.  I've read many people get head fog and nausea if the dose is a bit high, so hopefully it'll settle on the lower dose.

If these side effects are better on the lower dose, just keep going on the meds.  Its hard to see progress, and usually seems the meds aren't working, but it should start creeping up on you.  It might disappear again, but that's how it often happens, coming and going, but it gets better and better as time goes by.

K x

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline

Sorry to hear of your mother being ill and the return of your anxiety.  I was very similar to you.  I recovered many years ago and stayed on a low dose of Citalopram and eventually came off.  My son became ill 2 years ago and the stress affected me quite a lot, so I restarted the meds again before I sank too low.  It took me a while to feel back on top again - and my son recovered too.

Stress is such a big cause of anxiety.  We all have a tipping point and some people's point is higher than others, so they deal with it better.  I don't deal with stress well, but as soon as I feel it starting I start relaxing.

Increasing your medication will give you side effects, so your symptoms of anxiety etc will be heightened for a while.  In time they will help you get back on an even keel.  Anxiety makes our stomache's churn, so its no surprise it affects our appetites, but of course the meds play a big part in that too.  I used to struggle getting out of bed (not a morning person anyway) but waking to the realisation of another day of anxiety to face was dreadful every day.  

When I went through it a second time I often doubted the medicine would work for me again, even though I trusted it implicitly, but there were times when I began to wonder.  Yes its really hard to believe you'll get better - I told myself every day I would, but I couldn't feel it inside ..... but I plodded on.  Every day I went walking or cycling, and this was also for our son's benefit too - getting him out.  The outdoors is so good for the soul, the fresh air too and the exercise.  I didn't really enjoy walking for a long time, but we went out.  Also I really believe in relaxation - when the body is in a state of heightened anxiety it becomes really tense, and we often feel the anxiety in our middle.  Relaxing / letting go of tension in our body is often quite hard to do as you don't feel any benefit of it for ages.  But continued practice will help to calm the body too.  Relaxing is just trying to let go on the tension in your middle as you go about your every day life.  Stop racing about, take life at a much slower pace, drive on the inside lane everywhere, eat well and go to be early.

My theory of early morning anxiety is that when you sleep your body is deeply relaxed and calm, and as soon as you open your eyes your body remembers automatically remembers the anxiety and so it starts again.  That and along with knowing another day ahead has to be faced can be quite daunting.  You'll still struggle to get out of bed for quite a while no doubt, but all these changes help towards helping your body calm and keep healthy along with the medication.  It doesn't hurt to have some mornings laying in bed (if time allows), but its good to get up, shower, have a cup of tea and put the radio on if you want some cheery voice to listen to.  In the first years of my illness (many years ago) I used to struggle getting out of bed and occasionally missed word, but when I made myself it did make me feel human, even though the anxiety didn't disappear.

Your anxiety is temporary - you've had a stressful time and your body is bound to react as it knows how to.  The meds will help in time, and along with walking, relaxing, etc will all help to ease the anxiety.  You're recovering, even though you can't feel it yet.

Glad my posts have helped ..... anxiety is such a dreadful illness to cope with.  

K xx

• Posted

Sarah,

I am at 7 weeks in and I'm having a blip myself. I was feeling better but the last week was rough. I haven't had a dose adjustment yet but was thinking a ot seeing if I could move up to 30mg from 20mg. Did you have any adverse effects by going up? I've heard going down in doses can be rough.

• Posted

Hi Timothy

I pressume you mean up from 20 to 30 ?

I had very little problem with that increase until 5 weeks into it. I then felt anxious and sick so went up to 40. That was a very bad idea I stayex there for a month but felt awful so went back to 30 3 weeks ago. I am feeling a bit better now. I intend to stay at 30 for at least 6 maybe 8 weeks then decide if 20 mauy be better. It may just be a blip. I wish I had not just gone up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.