Mornings still hard

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all

It will be my 7 th week on Wednesday on 20mg mornings are still bad anxiety. wake up with intrusive thoughts witch last most of the day and feel low when it comes to night time I seem to feel a bit better is all this normal ?

Advice please

0 likes, 25 replies

Report / Delete

25 Replies

• Posted

Hi there Don, I have just done 8 weeks on 20mg, and must agree that my morning anxiety is lingering. Last week was a bad week, and filled with angst, nausea and headaches, along with some fatigue. Somehow I also feel slightly better later in the day, but that may just be in anticipation of another early night. I think by reading posts on this forum it normal, and will pass soon. Hoping this next week is a better one. Lee .
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Don. Sorry to hear you're still suffering. It took me about 7 weeks on citalopram 20mg to feel any noticeable improvement. I am now at 12 weeks and I have felt almost 'back to my old self' for only about 4 days, with the intrusive thoughts subsiding and feeling much more rational about things. But it took twelve weeks to feel that level of improvement. Has your doctor prescribed you diazepam to help with your anxiety? While it is not good to become reliant on diazepam, it may help you short term. It was very helpful for me during the early weeks while I was adjusting to citalopram. As I'm sure you are aware, intrusive thoughts and anxiety are side effects of induction into citalopram and will subside. Feeling better during the evening is completely normal but it is frustrating to wake up the next day feeling like you're back to square one. Try to be patient (i know its hard) as citalopram takes a long time to work but you're making good progress and they will kick in soon. All the best, S.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

My intrusive thoughts began to improve slightly around the 8/9 week mark, but it has taken a full 12 weeks to feel substantially better. I would definitely suggest seeing your doctor about getting something to alleviate your anxiety in the short term. xx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sour girl, it was like it was me writing that! Don, I totally agree with all she says, and felt exactly the same xxx it takes so much longer than anyone leads you to believe! Keep on taking them and you will feel better xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi

I've been taking citalopram 20mg for the last 4 days, but my issue is more to do with anxiety/panic attacks ... it feels as if am always concentrating on my breathing ... i've had all the tests done, ECG, blood tests and x rays .. all came back normal ... do you think my condition is just down to anxiety? and how did citalopram help you with that?

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi all

I was on citalpram and it wasent working for me. I'm on sertraline now started couple of days ago. I hate going to sleep knowing when I wake up it starts all over again. I've lost my family because of anxiety and depression and the thaught of not getting them back is making things worse.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes this is normal.  Recovery comes in waves, and waking in the morning feeling dreadful and then find yourself at the end of the day feeling quite normal is typical of how recovery works.  This is how it happened for me.

Those dreadful mornings were my worst, and were the last thing to disappear for me.  How your morning starts isn't necessarily how the rest of the day will pan out.

I used to feel better by the evenings and then wake again the next day feeling awful.

Itll go in time.

K x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi katecogs

Hope your good

Just wanted to ask you a question

Last week I had 4 good days in a row then it all come back anxiety and intrusive thoughts I'm start week 9 today is this normal ?

Doc tried to up my dose last week but I said I will stick it out a bit longer just looking for a bit of reasureance as I value your comments

Thanks

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Don

Yes thanks I doing good.

Yep, this is absolutely normal.  Recovery comes in waves - some days you'll start feeling good and then find the anxiety and thoughts will come back.  Remember the thoughts are part of anxiety - I had them.  If you stick it out you'll find once more that you'll start to feel good again, and of course it'll no doubt be followed by more anxiety and thoughts.  You'll probably be up and down like this for some time to come, but should find that the good days last longer and the bad days get less, and less intense too.

I know it's hard, but try and tell yourself each time that this is how recovery works and the anxiety and thoughts will subside again.  I was exactly like that and could actually feel 'it' coming back each time and was powerless to stop it.  Try and ride each wave - let the anxiety and thoughts be there, understand this is normal for now, and remember they will pass.

It's tough ..... each time I got a low point it was devastating to think I'd been feeling fine and was now going backwards.  When I started feeling good I felt I was winning and could easily cope with the low times, then when a low time hit me I felt I'd never get out of that hole.

Upping your dose won't necessarily stop this 'wave' period - seems a normal thing to go through whatever dose you're on.  

When you're anxious, thoughts get out of perspective, they seem huge, scary ... which cause more anxiety ..... and which in turn cause more thoughts.  The intrusive thoughts are a side effect of anxiety - as the anxiety starts to calm, so will the thoughts.  Eventually they won't bother you at all.  I had plenty of weird and wonderful scary thoughts - all gone now.

🐰😄

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Don,

I've been on citalopram 20mg for the last 4 days ... i also suffer from anxiety/panic attacks ... i also get the negative thoughts too, feels like am always aware of my breathing .. do you also experience the same

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Don 

just to reiterate what the others said the morning anxiety was also bad for me. Gradually mornings will alleviate and you will start to wake up feeling ok . My advice is get up immediately and keep busy. As the day goes on you will feel much better and evenings are good but early mornings is the last anxiety ridden moments to go. Give it more time the Meds take a long time to kick in .

thinking of you x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Definitely stay with 20mg for at least another 5 or 6weeks.This dosage may be enough.See how you feel then and then consult with your GP. I'm hoping that your morning anxiety will decrease if not go in another month or so. Remember small steps and keep posting to let us know how you get on.x
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Don 

It was a good 12 weeks before I started to wake up without the butterflies in my stomach and the constant checking of anxiety symptoms.just one morning I woke up and it was gone and never came back To!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi there Felis, I like Don have had a bumpy ride. Still not quite right in the head at 9 weeks, and still have anxiety and fatigue. The mornings are the worst, and some days that feeling just lingers on. I am so encouraged by your post to Don, knowing that it is normal for it to take this long. I was starting to despair. Thank you! 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Lee 

justgot back from a brief holiday. Hope you are progressing well.Just wanted to let you know and anyone else who is interested that these meds make you dry in the mouth ,at least for some people! I went to the chemist and bought a dry mouth gel to use at night and a spray for dry mouth which I carry in my handbag.Someone asked me about this but I forgot who! X

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That was me. Gee, never felt anything like this dry mouth! Off to the pharmacy today. Hope you had a great trip. How are you feeling? Progress ? Lee x
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Feeling really well Lee but have to drop about four kgs! I was 64 kgs and now 68kgs this is as a result of citalopram I have a healthy appetite ! Unfortunately my weight gain has affected my blood pressure. I watch what I eat but my doctor has suggested switching to Escitalopram or Lexapro. Have the script but won't use it until after my birthday.brginning of March don't want to ruin my night! Look out guys I will possibly be asking you all for comfort too.I have been on cit for 18 months now and despite weight gain feeling very happy and highly motivated. Always happy though to help others. Hang in there Lee!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Pity about the BP. The weight I could do with. Good idea to wait till after your birthday, no point in spoiling that. It is so encouraging to hear you are feeling so well. We will give you all the comfort you need xxx
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up