Motivation!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone have any tips for me for re-motivating myself?

I started on these in July 2009 and up to November 2009 lost almost 2 stone, didn't particularly stick to a diet during most of Dec and January i was dieting on and off.

I am trying to 'get back on the wagon' but it seems it doesn't matter what i do, i just can't seem to motivate myself to get back on it.

I am going on holiday in August, my friend has just lost 2 1/2 stones on WW and looks really good but even these don't seem to be helping.

Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

i'm quite similar to you hippo, i started at the end of june and up until nov i did really well, lost 2st and then we had a family crisis and my stress levels went thru the roof so i comfort ate during that period, then behaved a bit, then had xmas n new yr off n then behaved again but its hard getting back there, i am now 2lbs from having lost 2st and i have my upcoming wedding as motivation but the family crisis hasn't gone away and keeps getting worse, i am on a waiting list for counselling but they think it will be another 6-8wks til i get seen, i use my wiifit 3+ times a wk, do a physically demanding job and go to the gym 2-3 times a week. meh.

i remember once reading an article about a woman who dieted and took a photo once a month - always in her bra n pants - and it was visual stimulation that made her see how she was and her improvement which encouraged her to continue on until she reached a healthy weight - would something like that work for you?

• Posted

Thanks for replying, I have seen pictures of people who take photos each month and you can really see the difference so maybe it could work.

I've decided that i'm going to get valentines day out of the way as cooking a nice (hopefully!!) meal for my hubby then motivated or not, from Monday i'm back on it with a vengence as only put 1lb back on but am feeling (and looking) really bloated and shitty!!

Here's to a new start :D

• Posted

I have a top (nothing exciting, just an everyday top that I liked the look of) I bought it about 8 or 9 years ago and have never worn it. I never threw it as it is something I want to wear one day.

I pulled it on (it was not pretty!!) and took a photo. I lost 1 stone, pulled it on again (still not pretty!) and took another photo. So far I have not taken any other pics but I have vowed that every stone I will put the top on and take a pic just to see when I notice a difference and hope to wear it for real one day (hopefully it will not be tooooo stretched sad )

I am not one that could take a photo of myself in just my bra and pants.

I had a friend that bought a pair of trousers a couple of sizes too small and hung them up outside her wardrobe until she could wear them, they are now positively baggy on her smile

I think you have to find something for yourself, but just remember how miserable you were when you were bigger and why you don't want to go back there.

It is so much easier said than done. I've been fat/bigger/overweight (however you want to label it) for 10 years and although it's taking me a long time, this year I just trying not to give up, so however many hiccups you have on the way, just don't fall off completely smile

Good luck

• Posted

Hippo - are you being/able to be seen at your Dr's regularly?

I see my practice nurse fortnightly for a weigh in and advice and encouragement and find it very helpful to keep me on track. Got told I was her star dieter this time :D and loads and loads of encouragement.

If not then maybe you can book in for a weekly weigh in for a couple of weeks and then go fortnightly until things have got back on track for you.

• Posted

I get seen regulary by the practice nurse but she is also my asthma nurse so unfortunately is always too bothered by trying to get me to stop smoking rather than actually seeing me for the reason i came in (weight loss).

Weighing and measuring me is more like an afterthought for her and she is the only nurse that runs the weight loss clinic so i can't really see anyone else. Its not fair to see a doctor when i could be taking the appointment of someone who could need it as they are ill.

I do however have loads of clothes that haven't fitted me for about five years so i could pick an item and try it on each month until it eventually fits me . . . could be a long wait the way i'm going though!! :oops:

• Posted

Hi

my doctor see's me monthly and i have to keep going to see him, no word of going to the nurse, so next time you are at the doctor ask if from time to time you can see him, it will possibly be more motivation than seeing your asthma/weight loss nurse, you could also mention you dont get the support you require as she is on at you to stop smoking,

hope this helps, i am 6 weeks in and 11lbs down and 9.5 inches of all over, if i can do it anyone can :D

shelley xxx

• Posted

like shells i see the doctor monthly, since putting me on these shes always said to come back to her monthly, shes very encouraging and understanding which i find helpful

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.