moving from 10mg to 20mg advice needed

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on citlopram 10mg for nearly 4 weeks, having some good days and bad, side effects nearly all gone except for waking up early. Days I'm still emotional with thoughts running through my head and making me anxious. Went to doctor today and he put me on 20mg, I'm feeling scared to take them because of side effects, should I leave it to after Christmas?  I'm still finding it difficult to see light at the end of the tunnel.  I would really appreciate some advice and experiences. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dotty

Definitely start taking them.  The additional side effects won't be anywhere near as severe as they were to start with and the benefits may start to kick in really soon, giving you a much less anxious time over Christmas, which is always a stressful time.  20mg is still not a really high dose so you should be ok.  Obviously some people suffer more severely with side effects than others but honestly, upping your dose slightly should not cause you too much trauma, certainly less awful than continuing to feel emotional and stressed out because your dose isn't high enough. xx

• Posted

Hi Dotty,

I went from 10mg to 20mg on Monday I have only (fortunately so far) had slight side effects from the start, but it is slowly working I feel. I have come to accept that we are all going to react to Cit differently, some better than others however, part of my therapy is being here! This site and the people on it are just amazing, helpful and I trust their advice. Its good to talk (type) and share! All the best.

David

• Posted

So glad to hear you're feeling some benefits David, here's wishing you all the best that you continue to feel improvement and you're right, having people to 'talk' to on here who understand our issues is such a great help.  xx
    • Posted

Hi David,

How have you got on since upping your dose to 20mg.  I'm planning to start it tomorrow, would love to hear how you're getting on with it.

• Posted

Thanks so much for the replies,  it means a lot having people to ask for advice. I think I'll have to up my meds then. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks
  • Posted

Hi

If you're really concerned you could take 15mg every other day for a week or 2 and then progress to 15mg every day.  Then do the same for 20mg.  It might help ease the side effects.

As you recover on this medication you will get up and down periods, and eventually the down times will get less and less.  It's how the medication works.

I don't think anyone can see the light at the end of the tunnel - it's only when you're through the worst that you can.  But ..... it is there.  This illness makes us all see the worst of everything.  You are doing great, and you will get through all this.  The end result is so worth it.  Promise.

K xx

• Posted

Hi Dotty,

I have been ok, so far, on upping to 20mg, but I do feel I may be slightly luckier than most. I had a really bad cold when I started and that, I think for me, seemed to shield the worst of the side effects. Now, I feel a bit whatever, but without the cold.

I am taking it for work related stress which has led to other problems like anxiety, I am currently off work.

I took todays tablet at about midday instead of 15:00 as we were going out into town, which is a short walk, one road basically seperates us fromt the start of the shops. I have been feeling a little nauseous in the throat, but I don't expect it to result in anything. I am a little spaced, but fully aware. I still get a little anxious when in town and Ann, my partner, accompanies me. I think I'd be OK on me own, but just in case we are playing it safe for now. I have had a few funny pains in the torso and a little trembling, but nothing really worth mentioning (even though I have). The buzzing in my ears which used to be work related and has recently been, possibly, due to the tablets is few and far between and very, very faint. My inability to feel my sensitivity emotion (if that is the right phrase to use) is still on going; this is where, say, when watching a film with a sad bit in it I would cry, now I just don't! It is like I can see the emotion, but I cannot touch or feel it. I do wonder how many other emotions will be inhibited before I am better. I guess I'll find out as and when a situation arises to which previously I may have 'reacted' whereas now I may be better able to 'respond'.

The first benefit physically in repairing the mind is that my osteoarthritis seems to have gone away and I am even walking like someone without it again! If only I could return to jogging and impact sports I would be a lot healthier. Talking of which since moving in with Ann I have basically become a vegetarian, as is she, I know I am a lot healthier and the weight has started to drop off, this coupled with her love and support is also something to be factored in.

I hope and pray you, like everyone else here on the site, keep well, keep strong, keep the faith (whatever anyones is!), trust that we can make it, with a little help from Cita of course, but especially from our new found friends who reach out for us when ever we post something.

Best and Seasonal Wishes,

David

• Posted

I would start on the 20mg straight away as it takes time to get into your system. The side effects didn't last long for me I am now on 60mg and have been for about 6years. I wish I didn't have to take medication but it has saved me.
  • Posted

Similar problem here.  Dr put me up to 20mg last week and since then my symptoms have got bad.  Was on 10mg for 2 weeks this is now my 4th week.  Last night I slept for an hour then I was running to the toilet all night.  I still face the thought of eating anything substantial and now I have got a horrid muzzy head.  I phone Dr this morning, told the nurse there was no way I could get to the surgery as I needed the loo.  She made me an appointment for next week and has told me to cut down back to 10mg again from tomorrow.   I am not really worrying or stressing about anything other than these symptoms now which are "doing my head in" so to speak.  Will keep you all informed of how I am in case it helps anyone else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.