Moving home

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Denise 

I was wondering if you could help me please.I have just been given a property from the council as they deemed my private rented flat unsuitable for my needs.Although this is fantastic news I was just wondering if you knew if any help was available to me for moving and for essential items such as cooked , washer , and fridge?. Thank you very much xx

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Deborah,

Firstly, if you're claiming housing benefit and you're moving to a different local council then you need to check what's in the area you're moving to. If it's a full Universal Credit area then it's this you'll have to claim once you've moved and not housing benefit. Any other means tested benefits you claim such as ESA Income Related will then be moved to UC. Just google UC postcode checker and a link will come up to pop a postcode into and it will tell you. Let me know what it says.

For the household items. If you're claiming a means tested benefit like ESA Income related then the only thing that's available is a budgeting loan, this can be claimed if you've been claiming an income related benefit for at least 26 weeks. How much you can claim will depend on your circumstances and can be anything up to £800, if you have dependent children. If it's just yourself then the amount till be less. It does have to be repaid from your benefits and can be claimed online by google budgeting loan.

If that's not an option then any charities in your area maybe able to help. There's lot of freesites on the internet but again you'll have to search to see what's available in your area.

Help for moving costs, well there was no help when i moved house and i have to pay for it all myself unfortunately. The only thing i know that's available is the budgeting loan.

Good luck with the move.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.