MR X WHERE ARE YOU

Posted , 3 users are following.

You seem to be a very medical knowledgable person, can you help me with my prob, the doctors seem to think that I have anxiety, I am not denying it, but since september when this recent bout came about, I have tried 5 different anti-depressants some make me get a good nights sleep, like mirtazapine and the recently presribed amitriptyline the others I have returned to the doctor after taking between 3days and 6 days, each time with the same symptom, and that is, feelings as if I have been injected with something, these feeling are very strong in my legs.

After having a bad day today, its got me thinking I either have anxiety in my legs 24/7 or its something else. The only way I get some sort of relief from it, is if Im in the feotal position,.

Any help

Danielle

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Danielle

I am afraid I am unable to help you there as I am not able to diagnose illnesses. You will need to see your doctor about that.

• Posted

Do you think I might restless leg syndrome, due to the fact that after taking various anti-deressants my side effects are all the same in that I feel as though I have been injected with something.

It would seem that this is intensyfied by taking ssri/trycyclics.

I just keep saying if only this feeling in my legs would go I would be a lot calmer.

Thought I would end up in hospital tonight, IM not saying I havent got anxiety problems, I know I have, but I also know that it doesn,t carry on 24/7, . I get no relief from it unless I lie in the feotal position.

Thanks for listning

Danielle

• Posted

:lol: :shock: Hi Danielle, its Tiny Tears again. yes...i too get legs that nearly sway , or give way befor my hip, especially when I am outside. I never even thought about to mention it before, but yes...then I kept falling over...and now it has levelled out, but I am still taking citalopram . Ihave not changed medication. Are you still on that amtriptyline drug? Is it helping? Hope you get better soon! Luv, Tiny Tearsx.
  • Posted

Hi Danielle

Below are lists of:

1) the side effects of amitriptyline

2)the withdrawal effects of stopping citalopram - although the withdrawal symptoms of citalopram don't usually occur unless the patient has been taking citaloram for 4 weeks or more.

This knowledge may help you to decide whether taking amitriptyline or stopping the citalopram has caused the problem with your legs.

[b:580cf9c84e]Note[/b:580cf9c84e] a member of the Patient Admin Team has removed the text about amitriptyline that was here as it has just been copied and pasted in from one of our Patient UK leaflets. You can read it at https://patient.info/showdoc/30002916/.

[i:580cf9c84e][b:580cf9c84e]‘SSRI Withdrawal Syndrome’[/b:580cf9c84e]

The following criteria define the SSRI (or SNRI) withdrawal syndrome:

Criterion A: A course of treatment in which an SSRI (or vanlafaxine) is stopped or interrupted or the dose is reduced after a period of 4 weeks or more.

Criterion B: Two or more of the following symptoms develop within 1 to 10 days of criterion A (except for fluoxetine in which case the symptoms must develop within 28 days):

(a) dizziness or light headedness

(b) nausea and/or vomiting

(c) headaches

(d) lethargy

(e) anxiety and/or agitation

(f) tingling (paresthesias), numbness or \"electric\" shock-like sensations in the head or limbs

(g) tremors

(h) sweating

(i)insomnia

(j) irritability

(k) vertigo (dizziness)

(l) diarrhea'

‘Withdrawal symptoms when treatment is discontinued are common, particularly if discontinuation is abrupt (see section 4.8 Undesirable effects). In clinical trials adverse events seen on treatment discontinuation occurred in approximately 40% of patients treated with citalopram.[/i:580cf9c84e]’

• Posted

Hi Danielle, I read your post and realised (like Melbi), that there are many side-effects I have forgotten about, like the heavy legs and the feeling of falling, usually to my right. These side effects did not last very long for me, but I could not organise myself at all and at the time was recovering from knee-replacement surgery and thought I would never work again, and it all compounded.

My break came when my GP gave up and referred me to a psychiatrist, because in Australia these doctors only are entitled to prescribe stronger drugs such as Citalopram. I was prescribed this for \"major depression\", was not advised nor did I ask about side effects.

I believe Citalopram saved my life. I also suffer from high blood pressure and ulcers, so am taking a cocktail of chemicals. But I am alive and have a few seconds a day when I feel positive and want to get my life back. And I have a wonderful partner, Bree.

Danielle, I only recently joined this forum, but there are wonderful caring people here, like Melbi and Tiny Tears, with whom you can relate and who offer their own experiences (Thank God it's not just me!!), and who offer practical advice and love and caring. Take care, remember to look after you.

Breezman xx

• Posted

Breezman - you are a wonderful person too.

I have been thinking (ouch - that hurts)

I am wondering if admin would mind if we had a positive thread?

A little game for us all to play!

:shock: Everyday we ALL have to come here and type ONE good thing about ourselves or our lives. :shock:

We can't repeat ourselves so every day we have to add a new positive comment.

Can we do that admin?

The thread could be called 'Good Things', or something like that?

I know we ALL, especially while adjusting to citalopram focus more on our bad points - or the bad things in our lives. This would help us (imo) to focus more on the good things we have in our lives.

Melbi x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.