Mrcp scan

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Finally got a date after waiting 4 weeks. What's the difference between a Mrcp scan and an mri??? Thanks all

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I've had an MRCP, it's very much like an endoscopy the one I had, I had some stones stuck in my bile duct and they did the MRCP to remove them, basically a small camera down your throat, I was heavily sedated but normally you are just sedated so you can follow simple instructions, don't feel anything so don't panic! MRI scan is when your whole body is put into scanning machine and pictures taken. Again no pain or discomfort. Hope this helps, feel free to ask anymore questions x
    • Posted

Forgot to say the MRI scan is really noisy, a bit scary at the start but you soon get used to it x
  • Posted

As far as I recall the ercp is the camera and other things down the throat , an mrcp is an indepth Mri scan , concentrating on the upper torso . That is its non- invasive and doesn't hurt a bit , but it can be noisy . They will be scanning you to see if you have any gall stones where they shouldn't be , as if you do they will have to remove them ( by ercp) before they can remove your gall bladder . ....... Baby steps . Good luck . 
  • Posted

MRCP is a form of MRI but the whole body is not inside the tube.

a bit noisy but nothing to worry about 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up