MRI-fusion

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm a 70 year old active physically fit adult.  I've had two prostate biopsies done in the past three years and possibly set for another upcoming one, after last week's MRI-fusion's results done at Scottsdale's Mayo Clinic:  Pirad-5 on the right side and an increase to a 4 on the left side.  I suspect another recommendation for another biopsy by their urologist who is well known urologist.   My gleason score has been a 6 when I first went to a urologist 3 years ago who leaned towards surgery.   I went to Mayo to get a second opinion and have been under their care for the past two years and being monitored annually.   I have not experienced any of the typical side affects except going to the bathroom 2 - 3 times at night depending on my fluid intake in the evening. Has anyone been in the same situation and continued to be monitored??

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

6 is a low Gleason Score, indicating a low likelihood of any cancer spreading, meaning yours is probably one of the 95% cancers that will never grow enough to cause a problem or be life threatening. All of the cancer treatments usually have some permanent side effects and long recoveries. I would seriously consider continuing to be monitored and doing nothing unless your pathology changes.

If you really feel the need to have the cancer treated, consider FLA (Focal Laser Ablation) which is performed by interventional radiologists, not urologists, as there are almost no side effects and a quick recovery.  

• Posted

I agree with the previous replies.  As yours doesn't appear to be a dangerous situation, watchful waiting is statistically safer (in terms of unwanted side-effects) than going for surgery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.