MRI lumbar spine Report - please help

Posted , 3 users are following.

'' History 

? L3-4 disc 

Protocol 

Routine protocol 

Findings 

Cord ends normally. 

There is decreased signal return to the disc at the L4-5 and the L5-S1 level with anular fissure at the L4-5 level. Mild disc protrusions are noted on the sagittal series (see below). 

The inversion recovery series demonstrate normal signal intensity from the bone marrow. The sacrum as seen appears unremarkable. The posterior elements appear within normal limits. 

Axial series 

T12-L1. The nerves exit without compromise. No canal compromise. 

L1-2. The nerves exit without compromise. No canal compromise. 

L2-3. The nerves exit without compromise. No canal compromise. 

L3-4. The nerves exit without compromise. No canal compromise. There is a small left facet joint effusion. 

L4-5. There is a diffuse low-grade central disc bulge which abuts the thecal sac. The nerve roots of the lateral recesses and the exiting nerve roots exit otherwise unremarkably. 

L5-S1. There is a small central and slightly left paracentral disc bulge with the super added small protrusion. This abuts the feature and the nerve root in the right lateral recess however CSF spaces noted within the nerve root sheath and there is no significant deviation. The exiting nerves exit without compromise. 

Impression 

Degenerate discs are noted at the L4-5 and the L5-S1 level as described without clear evidence of neurological compromise.  ''

During an intense physiotherapy treatment for a problem with my left knee I started having occasional (radiating) pain in the right side of my lower back. Doctors suggested that I might be unintentionally increasing the pressure on my right side, because of the problem with the knee. I have a day scheduled for a surgery of the knee and additionally, the consultant advised a lower back MRI. This is a report I just received by email. If someone can please help me understand using simpler words what is it exactly that it is saying. Should I be worried or is it something that I will be able to easily manage after (while) I sort-out my initial knee problem. Many thanks in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Actually your MRI is fairly good . Basically what it's saying is that you have the beginnings of arthritis in your back that's the degenerative disc words and then on the bulging disks that depends on whether they impinge or pinch your nerve . There are hundreds of thousands of people who have degenerative disc disease and or a bulging disc and have absolutely no pain . In fact they wouldn't even know it if they did not had an MRI . Then you have the people like myself who has one bulging disc in the same place as one of yours and I have degenerative disc disease that progressed to arthritis in my facet joints and in my SI joints so I have a great deal of pain . So what all that boils down to is you can't tell now if you're going to have chronic pain or not . I'm guessing you have pain now so the very best thing you can do to try to keep it from becoming chronic is to work with a physical therapist on strengthening your core muscles and not allowing your back to stop you from moving. But I can feel your eyes rolling as I say that because you're gonna have surgery on your knee and you will be immobile for a while . But you'll need to do whatever you can and I know you will have physical therapy on your knee eventually and you can work on your back at the same time . Just keep in mind that everything you do now affects your back from here on out .

• Posted

I just happened to see this and felt led to reply. It seems too easy and may be for you.

I have spondylolisthesis of L4,5 and S1. All is open according to MRI. my dr wanted to put me on a strong prescription for pain. I researched a lot and found a product called Terry Naturally Extra Strength Curamin from Amazon. I tried it. That was two years ago and still use it daily with zero pain now.

I hope you are able to find pain relief whatever you choose.

• Posted

If you choose to try the drug that loveall4 recommended just be aware that it contains turmeric which can cause nausea.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.