MUA after knee replacement

Posted , 10 users are following.

i had a total knee replacement 6 months ago.. I still have swelling around and behind the knee and also fluid on the knee.

my consultant has recommended a MUA and I want to know the pros and cons of this operation, the recovery time and could I be worse off than I am now. thank you, Linda 

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

It isn't an operation. You are put to sleep and they manuver your leg beyond the point you are capable of doing on your own. The proceedure takes a short time and scar tissue is forceably torn loose. Several on here have had it done and like with most things, the results vary from person to person. There is no cutting or invasive work preformed. You will rec a number of responses in the next day or so and as mentioned, they will run differently. Good luck
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Linda

I had MUAs on both of my knees at the 5-6 month stage.

You are put out for about 30 mins, whilst the knee is forced and, usually, you wake up with a CPM machine which then keeps the knee moving.

I didn't have a lot of pain afterwards and took no meds the second time.  I also only had the weekend to recover and went back to work on the Monday.

My first MUA straightened my knee beautifully, but my second one hasn't and I am facing another possible operation for excess scar tissue.

I would certainly go with the MUA though.

Patsy

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank You patsyrose for your reply. No one has explained to me about the procedure so I am grateful to you for your comments.

i am going ahead with the MUA and hope for the best. 

Thanks x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

OK Linda. As Oldfatguy has said the responses you get will be different so I have to be honest with you here.

I have only had MUA once after an operation on my knee many years ago.

It was extremely painful afterwards but this did not last long and it was successful.

I do not think you will be actually worse off than you are now but for me it was very painful to begin with.

Hope you are able to make the right decision for you.

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Love Ssarah x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Linda

I had ok ne done after my original TKR cause it would not go furthere then 88 degree. I went in and was put out totally. They did 3 othoscopic incisions and cleaned out all the scar tissue from the the right to the left side of the knee. Then he bend and straighten the knee to make sure it works. I came out with alot of pain worse then the original TKR. Got better range to 108 degree. But it's starting to stiffen up again. So there might be another one close in sight again. I woke up with no CPM machime and got sent home the same day. That was me everyone is different. I know some that don't need it and never have pain. Some that do it and everything is great with no pain. And then there is me. Good luck with yours and let us know how it went. Manny

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi linda  i had mua before like oldfatguy says its just putting you to sleep to bend it forseably  but some cases like me i had keyhole op to cut scar tissue  also i got a pain block in my knee so after i could bend it without much pain and to be honest it dindnt pain that much after but i have to tell you sometimes after mua the bend dose not last unfortunatly it didnt last for me i hope it works for you its worth a go thats for sure
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Linda I had a MUA in Feb at 12 weeks post tkr. Mine was because I didn't have enough bend. Hurt like hell for about 10 days afterwards, but it did work and now my knee bends well (better than the other knee).  My surgeon said that it is much easier to do a MUA for bend, because they don't need to cut; they just knock you out and forciby bend it. I was out for no more than 30 mins and went straight from waking up to a physical therapy session. It all took place in the pre-op room - didn't go into an operating theatre. He mae me wait until 12 weeks to get it done because he said that before that, the scar tissue was still forming and had blood vessels that would break, and bleed and form more scar tissue.

He did say that a MUA was much more difficult for a knee that would not straighten, because then they do need to go in and cut the scar tissue away, and sometimes it reforms again, which is what seems to have happened to some on this forum.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up