MUA after TKR??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. Has anyone had MUA after a TKR? I'm almost 5 months post op and I still have limited flexion at 100. Very painful to bend the knee still. I just keep wondering if having MUA would be as painful as it sounds afterwards...? I've watched a video of it and I just can't help but think the patient must wake up in agony! I've had enough agony for 2016! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. rolleyes

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shan,

I'm afraid I have no experience of MUA.

But I'm sure someone on this forum will be able to help.

Has you doctor or physio commented?

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan. I see my surgeon next month. My physio does massage on the back of my knee to break up scar tissue once a week but it's not helping much. I'd love to hear from someone who has had MUA done so if I DO have to get it done, I can be well informed by a patient....they are totally honest....not like the doctors! redface Thanks for your comments. biggrin

• Posted

Morning!   I had an MUA at 7 weeks post op.  My bend was very poor - 25!   I am now 14wks post op and my bend is at 90 now but this is after loads of physio.   I was told that there was a 10 week window of opportunity after a TKR and that an MUA after this was not worth doing???   I would question this as I think that this is a UK limitation - there does not seem to be the same time limits in the US, Canada or Aus.

The MUA aftermath was not painful - no where near the TKR - I think it was worth doing.   I have huge problems with scar tissue and may have keyhole arthryscopic scar removal but will not know for another 3 months.

Personally I think anything 90 and over is good.   My physio tells me that 120 is still achievable for me but with patience and hardwork!

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Lynn. That "10 week window" makes sense I guess. To know that you didn't have much pain after it is reassuring! With me, it's not just bending the knee, it's still so painful to get it past 90. I am more limited with movement now than before TKR. Thanks for your comments. 

• Posted

I have had TWO manipulations since my TKR in March! My first one was around six weeks after the surgery . . My knee only bent to 60. The second was about another six weeks and it now can be forced bent to 110. The pain after a manipulation isn't anything like the pain after the TKR, and it did help, but I'm still having ALOT of pain all day long , and when I walk the bend isn't good at all! I'm still using a Cain and using my hip to get my leg to bend! I have a lot of swelling also! This has been the hardest 4 mths of my life !!! My knee feels like there is a huge spiky rock in there, which I'm assuming is scar tissue?! Ugh

• Posted

Hi Joy. Yes I know how you feel with pain! I am worse off now than before surgery with movement and abilities. I have to get my other knee done in the next year! cry Not sure which is worse....to know what to expect or to go in not having a clue what I was in for! It sure is a tough surgery! Take care.

• Posted

Hi!

I'm 14 weeks post op with my second TKR and I'm struggling with the dreaded bend as it seems to be stuck at 90 and after my physio sessions (which I'm now having to pay for myself) it only reaches 95 and so if I was at 100 I would be very happy! My other TKR which I had in 2014 measures 110 and I can do everything that I want with that degree of bend, so if I can reach the same with this very stiff, stubborn recent one then I'll be very happy! Interestingly, there's been no mention of any manual manipulation for me but I gather from reading on this forum that it doesn't hurt as you are anaethaetised but that the increase gained in bend is frequently lost a week or so later on. I'll stick to the physio for now......

Best wishes,

Glenda

• Posted

Hi Glenda. Yes "the dreaded bend!" I guess 100 sounds good but my knee is so stiff and painful to get it there. I feel like there has been no improvement for months. If this is as good as it gonna get, I'm screwed! So much worse off than before the op! Thanks for your comments.

• Posted

I can understand why you're worried as I can't walk down stairs properly yet with 95 & need to reach the 110 that my left knee measures to be able to do that! I feel like I'm going to tip over and it hurts like crazy! (Plus I look like a demented chicken!) It's strange that each knee is so different as my first replacement wasn't so stiff as this latest one! Fingers crossed that the stiffness in our knees disappears ASAP!

• Posted

Hi i had my tkr in feb so 5 mnths to! I have been wondering about the flexion to! When i was having physio at the knee pain clinic my bend was 95 i cant remember how long ago that was now! I dont think i have got much more to be honest! I struggle walking downstairs correctly am hoping that wil happen as it all gets stronger! The only other thing is getting in car to drive i stil push seat right back! My physio did say a straight leg is more important than the bend for walking! No one has mentioned an mua to me i worried about getting a gd bend in the early days but at the time a lot of people said u can get to hung up on measuring degrees! Im just hoping it still improves! Hope this is helpful!
    • Posted

Hi Debbie. Walking downstairs is awful for me too. Also even sloping ground. I have a very rocky uneven backyard to my clothesline and getting down there with a basket of washing terrifies me! My other knee has to be done yet so that is half the problem. As I have said earlier, I still have so much pain behind the knee which stops me doing so much. Thanks for your comments.
    • Posted

Hi Debbie. You and I are both 9 months post op now. How are you doing? I'm still having heaps of pain. I can't bend my knee properly nor do everything I could do before surgery. Now I have bad pain right up in my groin/pelvis/hip area, making it painful whenever I bend my leg from there. God I wish I'd never had this surgery! Hope you are doing heaps better than me! sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.